Microsoft offers Windows XP Pro 64 bit version as free download.

Old January 11th 05, 04:26 AM
George Harrison

Default Microsoft offers Windows XP Pro 64 bit version as free download.

I recently upgraded my motherboard to Asus K8N-E
and an AMD Athlon 64 3000 processor. Microsoft is offering their XP-PRO
64 bit version as a free Preview download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/upgrade.mspx

I created my Install CD this morning.

However, I am still trying to install it.
Old January 11th 05, 08:22 AM
Bonj

I have installed Windows XP 64 and it is *poor*!

I've encountered the following problems with it:
* Refuses to do the network setup wizard
* Refuses to to the Windows Update site (launches a 32-bit browser which
then bombs with error message)
* Refuses to do the SDK Update site (hangs for ever)
* Refuses to even install any Platform SDK other than .NET one, as the Core
PSDK is only for Intel IA-64s (the setup.exe immediately shells the
setup64.exe which then claims wrong architecture)
* Spurious 'blank' icon in Control Panel

I'm now only using it for the purposes of downloading linux.

Old January 12th 05, 10:49 AM
DougH

It is a BETA you know. Besides the aspects you mentioned it also does not
load joystick drivers. I wanted to test Flight Sim 2004 on it but without
the joystick it's not much fun. I recently upgraded to the ASUS A8N-SLI
Deluxe with a 3500+ and found what they have so far very nice and stable.

DougH

Old January 12th 05, 11:24 AM
DougH

Windows XP 64 is very stable on my machine I meant to say. Just wish it had
those joystick drivers otherwise I wouldn't have replaced it with regular
windows xp.

DougH