System Builder Recommendations: Linux Dual Opteron Workstation

Old December 9th 04, 04:46 PM
JBHinkey

Default System Builder Recommendations: Linux Dual Opteron Workstation

Looking for recommendations of vendors who can deliver a fully built and
tested dual opteron workstation. There are a lot of places that will
build one for you, but I have no idea who will do a good job and have
decent support afterwards. I would love to build it myself, but it
would cost me more than it would to have someone else do it for me.
Looking for raw FP performance for scientific applications (i.e., not
gaming), so the graphics performance is not that critical for me.

For reference, the rough basic specs. of a system I'm interested in:

Dual Opteron 250 CPUs
4 GB DDR 400 (4 - 1 GB DIMMS most likely)
DVD-R/RW + 1.44MB Floppy (yes, some software still comes on floppies)
Two hard drives: 80 GB ATA 133 + 80-120 GB SATA
Decent Graphics Card with OpenGL capability
Linux (probably Red Hat WS)
Tower Case OK (i.e., an E-ATX case is OK)

Thanks for any help/recommendations!

- John Hinkey
Seattle, WA.
Old December 9th 04, 06:02 PM
Cuzman

"JBHinkey" wrote in message

" Thanks for any help/recommendations! "

My $0.02: For the cost of those 250's, you'd get better performance with
248's and an SCSI disk array.

Old December 9th 04, 06:17 PM
JBHinkey

Cuzman wrote:
"JBHinkey" wrote in message

" Thanks for any help/recommendations! "

My $0.02: For the cost of those 250's, you'd get better performance with
248's and an SCSI disk array.

Thanks for the input, of course you may be right - but for me, when a
numerical simulation takes _days_ to complete, the little extra
performance boost of the 250 (depending on the benchmark you use, up to
~9% faster) may be worth it. Disc I/O performance is secondary for me
- I'm normally a SCSI guy anyways, but the applications won't be
hindered much by disc I/O.

Thanks -

John
Old December 9th 04, 09:19 PM
Scott Lurndal

JBHinkey writes:
Looking for recommendations of vendors who can deliver a fully built and
tested dual opteron workstation. There are a lot of places that will

Penguin Computing.

scott
Old December 10th 04, 12:44 AM
None

JBHinkey wrote in
:

For reference, the rough basic specs. of a system I'm interested in:

Dual Opteron 250 CPUs
4 GB DDR 400 (4 - 1 GB DIMMS most likely)
DVD-R/RW + 1.44MB Floppy (yes, some software still comes on floppies)
Two hard drives: 80 GB ATA 133 + 80-120 GB SATA
Decent Graphics Card with OpenGL capability
Linux (probably Red Hat WS)
Tower Case OK (i.e., an E-ATX case is OK)

Thanks for any help/recommendations!

- John Hinkey
Seattle, WA.

Checkout Monarch Computers:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com
[Under workstations]
Old December 14th 04, 12:21 AM
John R Weiss

JBHinkey writes:
Looking for recommendations of vendors who can deliver a fully built and
tested dual opteron workstation. There are a lot of places that will

NTSI in Boston -- www.ntsi.com

They will build to spec with other components than those in their on-line
"configurator" as well. Call or e-mail them with your specs.

Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Dual Vs. Single Processor System Darren Harris General 5 January 10th 04 11:04 PM
dual boot system DJS0302 General 5 January 5th 04 02:01 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Any feedback on Biostar M7NCD MB; other system recommendations? enigma General 1 September 10th 03 03:31 PM