New to the A64

Old December 5th 04, 06:37 PM
Travis King

Default New to the A64

I have never used an Athlon 64 before... What are the procedures for
installing one as well as the heatsink? Are there anything I need to watch
out for especially when mounting the heatsink? I have always installed
Athlon XPs in the past... I heard that the heatsink installation isn't as
risky as it is with the Athlon XPs. Is this true? Thanks for any input...

Old December 5th 04, 08:20 PM
Carlo Razzeto

"Travis King" wrote in message
I have never used an Athlon 64 before... What are the procedures for
installing one as well as the heatsink? Are there anything I need to watch
out for especially when mounting the heatsink? I have always installed
Athlon XPs in the past... I heard that the heatsink installation isn't as
risky as it is with the Athlon XPs. Is this true? Thanks for any input...

Installing a heatsink in an A64 system is easy and safe. However I recommend
spending a few dollars and getting a good after market heatsink. It make's
the installation process a breeze. My thermaltake was a snap to install.

Carlo

Old December 5th 04, 09:40 PM
Dee

Travis King wrote:
I have never used an Athlon 64 before... What are the procedures for
installing one as well as the heatsink? Are there anything I need to watch
out for especially when mounting the heatsink? I have always installed
Athlon XPs in the past... I heard that the heatsink installation isn't as
risky as it is with the Athlon XPs. Is this true? Thanks for any input...

If you read the manual for any of the socket 754, 939, or 940
motherboards, it will show you exactly how to mount the CPU and heat
sink. If you don't have a manual, download one from one of the
manufacturers sites and you can read it with Adobe Reader.

Old December 5th 04, 09:56 PM
Marshall

Carlo Razzeto wrote:
"Travis King" wrote in message

I have never used an Athlon 64 before... What are the procedures for
installing one as well as the heatsink? Are there anything I need to watch
out for especially when mounting the heatsink? I have always installed
Athlon XPs in the past... I heard that the heatsink installation isn't as
risky as it is with the Athlon XPs. Is this true? Thanks for any input...

Installing a heatsink in an A64 system is easy and safe. However I recommend
spending a few dollars and getting a good after market heatsink. It make's
the installation process a breeze. My thermaltake was a snap to install.

Carlo

I got a retail Newcastle, the heatsink that comes with it is fine as
far as I can tell. No heat issues.
Old December 5th 04, 10:08 PM
Travis King

I heard that the heatsinks are okay for the A64s, but if you ever want to
pull out the processor and re-use it, it could cause some problems because
of the thermal interface material that the heatsink uses. I heard that you
could risk damaging the processor when removing it... At least that's what
I heard...

Old December 5th 04, 10:32 PM
Aerticulean Effort

"Marshall" wrote in message

Carlo Razzeto wrote:

"Travis King" wrote in message

I have never used an Athlon 64 before... What are the procedures for
installing one as well as the heatsink? Are there anything I need to
watch out for especially when mounting the heatsink? I have always
installed Athlon XPs in the past... I heard that the heatsink
installation isn't as risky as it is with the Athlon XPs. Is this true?
Thanks for any input...

Installing a heatsink in an A64 system is easy and safe. However I
recommend spending a few dollars and getting a good after market
heatsink. It make's the installation process a breeze. My thermaltake was
a snap to install.

Carlo

I got a retail Newcastle, the heatsink that comes with it is fine as far
as I can tell. No heat issues.

How noisy is it?

All that lo cycles per second hum (hertz) can be a bit of a demotivator
for me especially after using super quiet running kit that (at the most)
gives the odd hard disk click every now and again

Aerticeus
Old December 5th 04, 11:44 PM
Carlo Razzeto

"Marshall" wrote in message

I got a retail Newcastle, the heatsink that comes with it is fine as far
as I can tell. No heat issues.

There are no heat issues with the standard heatsink. I found however that
they are a pain to install compared to an after market heatsink and louder.

Carlo

Old December 5th 04, 11:51 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:44:02 -0500, Carlo Razzeto wrote:

"Marshall" wrote in message

I got a retail Newcastle, the heatsink that comes with it is fine as far
as I can tell. No heat issues.

There are no heat issues with the standard heatsink. I found however that
they are a pain to install compared to an after market heatsink and louder.

Didn't find it hard to install, but didn't like the compound on it.
Replaced with regular stuff. It wasn't too noisy, but I removed the
4400rpm fan and installed a 70mm-80mm adapter and it's almost silent now
at 2300rpm and cools just as good, maybe better.

Old December 6th 04, 02:58 AM
Marshall

Carlo Razzeto wrote:
"Marshall" wrote in message

I got a retail Newcastle, the heatsink that comes with it is fine as far
as I can tell. No heat issues.

There are no heat issues with the standard heatsink. I found however that
they are a pain to install compared to an after market heatsink and louder.

Carlo

Yeah it was a bit of a pain to install actually but I can't tell about
noise issues as I have seven fans in the case so it is a tad difficult
to point at it as a specific source. I'm running two HDD's with two case
fans in front blowing over them. My system isn't loud and if it was I
would do something about it but it isn't dead silent either.

The problem with attaching the heat sink is that too much force is
required to push down the metal latch opposite the lever locking end.