Compaq Proliant Server problem

Old April 18th 04, 08:51 AM
that other guy

Default Compaq Proliant Server problem

I picked up 2 Proliant servers last thursday (4/15/04) in 100% working
condition. One with windows NT 4 server, the other with windows 2000
server. no passwords or manuals, just a single cd package "Server Setup
and management." I used the same CD for both machines and ran the "System
erase utility." after the erasure finished, i was told to cycle power and
leave the smartstart cd in the tray.

after one machine was completed, the other would not boot. the scsi array
spins up and stays up, everything appears normal... except the video will
not come back... the keyboard does not respond. the keyboard lights only
flash quickly when i turn the power on, but go off and stay off. I've
sucessfully re-installed NT4 server the way i want now, but the 2000 machine
just doesn't post... i've reseated the ram, cpu boards, scsi controller
boards and the nic boards..

nothing seemts to work.

any information that could help is appreciated...

Old April 18th 04, 09:39 AM
Guy Macon

that other guy says...

[...]

Did you take any covers off? On some models if you don't put them
back on properly, the interlock does what you describe.

What model server are we talking about? Please post exactly what
is written on the front panel and the rear panel. Are the two the
same?

Are there any beeps? Describe them - they give error information.

Do the lights on the ower supplies flash? (see rear of machine)
Describe the pattern if they do.

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you

Old April 18th 04, 11:16 AM
that other guy

I can only assume the model is a Proliant 3110 based off the label on the
back of chassis. There are no lights on or in the vicinity of the power
supply.
However, the other "working" server has a Proliant 1500 logo on the front
and on the back label says its a compaq 3124 series.

The machine that's having problems::
on first power, a single beep comes from speaker
Covers off? yes, but put back exact same way (multiple times)
On the back panel, near the power supply is a label saying its a Compaq 3110
series on the from the logo says Compaq proliant
inside is a barcode that reads out "Proliant 2000 5/66 6442HFR50255"

Ok, as i'm writing this, i found the jumper layout and set the "Clear
Configuration Memory" jumper to on, cycled the power, reset the jumper back
to off, powered on again and now it works... monitor comes up, keyboard
responds and has lights.

maybe the system erase utility made a malformed change to a system setting.

Thanks for the response Guy.

Kind Regards,
Mike

that other guy says...

Old April 18th 04, 03:27 PM
NuT CrAcKeR

You have a couple of oldie, but goodies.

your 2000 offically supports 2 processors. There might be tape over the othe
2 slots. I have 2 of those servers myself. But, there is a "reserverd"
switch, that when you flip it, makes the board think its for a 4000, which
means you can have 4 of those little 5/66's in there...or, up to 4 133
boards. I think you have to have a real 4000, or maybe a 4500 to be able ot
use the 166 boards.

Glad to hear its up and running, but you really didnt have to kill the
systems with the system erase utility. You could have just booted with the
OS CD, and reformatted the partition. Unless, you wanted to walk throught
the whole smartstart thing... what version of smartstart did you use? Did
you use it prior to re-installing the OS on those boxes?

LC

. ..

Old April 18th 04, 08:41 PM
Guy Macon

I have been looking for a quad processor 486 machine for over a year
now (I test software on a number of configurations, and want to add
"quad 486" to my list). Does anyone know where to find one?

Old April 19th 04, 12:20 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

Guy, I have seen you asking about this for YEARS...

in all honesty, I dont think that the effort you are putting into verifying
this app on a quad 486 will justify the milage you will get out of being
able to say it works.

You may be better off trying to build or find an old quad 486 ALR Revolution
server. I have come across the odd 486 board in my searches looking for
other gear, but never inquired as to the prices.

truely, what value will you really get from being able to say that you can
run this thing on hardware that hasnt been available for 10 years?

LC

Old April 19th 04, 12:29 AM
that other guy

I used the smartstart prior to re-installing the OS, and to my surprise once
it was finished with the smartstart steps it went right into asking me the
info for the 2000 installation then asked for the cd and started installing
(i think that was cool).

the version i used was (according to the cd label) release 5.40.
one of the boxes came with 2x 133 boards, but the one in slot 2 keeps
failing at post (bad board?).
yes, i wanted to kill the systems, i wanted to make sure that everything was
gone. there were a few errors at post on one of them and reconfiguring

I am looking for fast-wide scsi drives bigger than 4.3gb though, i'd like to
replace the five 4.3s in here now for something bigger. Maybe around 12-20gb
each. the 18gb total is nice, but i'd like to make it around 40-60ish...
without breaking the bank.

Kind Regards
~Mike

Old April 19th 04, 12:45 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

depends on the drive cage. you can take the 5 slot cage out of a 1500, 4500R
or 5000R to get FWS2 support from the backplane. this isnt fast, but it does
allow you to use trays that have either 68pin or 80pin SCA connectors. This
is significant because it will give you a much wider range of drives you can
use. if you stick with he "narrow" trays, then you will be locked into 50pin
drives. Sometimes you see things like 45G half-height drives on ebay.. but
its pretty rare. Plus, i dont know if i would trust that.

Of course, for the 2000 you will have to get a Smart2/E controller. This
isnt officially supported under 2000, and you will have problems with the
SystemPaq going down on it. Stick with 4.0 and you should be good.

I have actually done this myself with one of my old ?000's (i say " ? "
because its really a 2000, but is haveing the identity crisis of thinking
its a 4000...). I have pretty much pushed the limit with that old product
line

Also of note, any of the smart2 controllers with the square memory card can
use up to a 64M card. All you need to do is get a cheap SmartArray3200
controller, and you are in business. Its also the same memory card that is
used in the RA4000/4100 controllers.

if you have other questions, ask. : )

LC

m...

Old April 19th 04, 06:55 AM
Guy Macon

NuT CrAcKeR says...

"Guy Macon" http://www.guymacon.com wrote...

I have been looking for a quad processor 486 machine for over a year
now (I test software on a number of configurations, and want to add
"quad 486" to my list). Does anyone know where to find one?

Guy, I have seen you asking about this for YEARS...

Yup. My total effort consists of asking every 6-12 months..

in all honesty, I dont think that the effort you are putting into verifying
this app on a quad 486 will justify the milage you will get out of being
able to say it works.

You may be better off trying to build or find an old quad 486 ALR Revolution
server. I have come across the odd 486 board in my searches looking for
other gear, but never inquired as to the prices.

Feel free to drop me a line if you happen to run across a quad 486 anything.

truely, what value will you really get from being able to say that you can
run this thing on hardware that hasnt been available for 10 years?

It's a bunch of apps, actually. The main benefit is psychological;
when I deliver a robot that cost a lot of money to build and which
will cost a lot of money per hour if the software crashes, it gives
the person paying me a confidence boost when I show him test results
from a wide variety of hardware. It's just smoke and mirrors, really,
but I have my regressions tests scripted so well that it takes no
real effort on my part; I just load the latest executable to my lab
network and let the tests run. Then I show the customer the regression
test running on all of those screens, and he feels good about hiring me.

You should see the jacob's ladder and tesla coil I run to demonstrate
that thebrobot has good RF immunity...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 1st 04 02:54 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 17th 04 12:49 PM
Howto install the drivers for mobility Radeon 9200 on Compaq X1000 with Windows Server 2003 !!! (solution) Razvan Ati Videocards 1 August 12th 04 07:13 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 17th 04 11:03 AM