are 6800's pci-Ex compatible? about to buy one..

Old September 24th 04, 12:02 AM
James

Default are 6800's pci-Ex compatible? about to buy one..

Hi
Am about to order a new card, possibly this one:

but can someone tell me, when pci-express comes out, will this card support
it???? Are there any 6800 nvidea cards on the market that do support the
upcoming pci-e?

Thanks
Chris

Old September 24th 04, 02:46 AM
J. Clarke

James wrote:

Hi
Am about to order a new card, possibly this one:

but can someone tell me, when pci-express comes out, will this card
support it???? Are there any 6800 nvidea cards on the market that do
support the upcoming pci-e?

PCI Express has been out for months. If you buy a PCI Express 6800 it will
work with PCI Express but not with AGP. If you buy an AGP 6800 it will
work with AGP but not with PCI Express. The board you are looking at is
AGP. It will not work with PCI Express. There are no motherboards with
both AGP and PCI Express.

If you buy a PCI Express 6800 and do not have a motherboard with a PCI
Express X16 slot then you will not be able to use it.

Thanks
Chris

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old September 24th 04, 05:36 AM
Tom

Well....there is one that supports both
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Product...uID=93&LanID=0
Hope that link works.
If not, its an ECS 915G-A

Old September 24th 04, 06:55 AM
J. Clarke

Tom wrote:

Well....there is one that supports both

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Product...uID=93&LanID=0
Hope that link works.
If not, its an ECS 915G-A

That will be very cool if (a) they actually get it to market, and (b) it
works. Given the history of ECS, don't bet your life on either.

Old September 24th 04, 07:06 AM
J. Clarke

John wrote:

well no it wont as its an agp card, you need to wait for the 6600 to come
out (which is almost about to be released) and you can hook 2 of them up
together in sli mode.

When if ever someone actually ships a motherboard with two PCI Express x16
slots you may be able to do this.

Old September 24th 04, 11:12 AM
James

Thanks for the info. Am going to wait and get a 6600 PCI-E. I just hope they
come out in a matter of weeks not months

Many thanks
Chris

Old September 24th 04, 09:10 PM
John Lewis

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:06:12 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

John wrote:

well no it wont as its an agp card, you need to wait for the 6600 to come
out (which is almost about to be released) and you can hook 2 of them up
together in sli mode.

When if ever someone actually ships a motherboard with two PCI Express x16
slots you may be able to do this.

Guess what ? The nVidia nForce4 chipset is intended to do just that.
No doubt will work perfectly with dual 6800 or 6600 PCI-Express in
SLI-configuration. nForce4 is due out at the end of this year. Save up
your shekels. That and the clean 64-bit x86 AMD support might be the
final straw that finally forces me out of the Intel camp for my next
PC build. Intel marketing/management have their heads in a proverbial
dark place. Don't blame the Intel design engineers.... I have personal
contacts with several and they are frustrated by the lack of clear
direction in Intel's x86 future development.

Also, I have fond memories of my 3dfx dual-SLI Voodoo 2
system. Worked great.

John Lewis

Old September 24th 04, 10:23 PM
Tom

Old September 24th 04, 10:48 PM
J. Clarke

Old September 24th 04, 10:50 PM
J. Clarke

wrote:

John wrote:

well no it wont as its an agp card, you need to wait for the 6600 to
come out (which is almost about to be released) and you can hook 2 of
them up together in sli mode.

When if ever someone actually ships a motherboard with two PCI Express x16
slots you may be able to do this.

Guess what ? The nVidia nForce4 chipset is intended to do just that.
No doubt will work perfectly with dual 6800 or 6600 PCI-Express in
SLI-configuration. nForce4 is due out at the end of this year. Save up
your shekels. That and the clean 64-bit x86 AMD support might be the
final straw that finally forces me out of the Intel camp for my next
PC build.

If it all works as planned. And if motherboard manufacturers actually
implement the dual capability, and if there is actually enough performance
improvement to justify the cost.