Upgraded from 9800 pro to XFX Geforce 6800 and....

Old September 2nd 04, 06:49 PM
me!!

Default Upgraded from 9800 pro to XFX Geforce 6800 and....

My 9800 pro give up the ghost yesterday so i got myself a XFX 6800 non
ultra with 325Mhz clock and 750Mhz mem core ( see overclockers.co.uk
).

My 3dmark 2001se score has DROPPED!! Its gone from 17,750 down to
16,927 with the new card.

On a more postive note my 3dmark03 score has gone up from 5512 to
8535.

System

160gb hdd
xp3200+ cpu
768mb pc3200
audigy2 zs
a7n8x-e deluxe mobo.
plextor px712a dvdrw

What scores are others getting with a simlar setup to me?

paul
Old September 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
GTX_SlotCar

My 9800 pro give up the ghost yesterday so i got myself a XFX 6800 non

Did you have a VGA Silencer on it?
My Sapphire 9800Pro died a couple weeks ago (lasted 7 months). ATI and
Sapphire wouldn't fix it, but newegg let me send it back for a replacement.

My 3dmark 2001se score has DROPPED!! Its gone from 17,750 down to
16,927 with the new card.
On a more postive note my 3dmark03 score has gone up from 5512 to
8535.

That's not unusual. Going from a 9800Pro to an eVGA 6800GT, my 01 score
stayed about the same - 21345. Nature scores went up quite a bit, but others
went down some.
In 3dMark03 it went up from 6800 to 12,911.

6800GT
P4 2.4C at 3.12gHz
Abit AI7

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old September 2nd 04, 09:13 PM
me!!

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:50:27 -0400, "GTX_SlotCar"
wrote:

My 9800 pro give up the ghost yesterday so i got myself a XFX 6800 non

Did you have a VGA Silencer on it?
My Sapphire 9800Pro died a couple weeks ago (lasted 7 months). ATI and
Sapphire wouldn't fix it, but newegg let me send it back for a replacement.

No it had the stock cooling, it was a powercolor card. Mine also only
lasted 7 months ( purchased in feb ) but overclockers allowed me to
return it and pay the extra £35 for the 6800. Was fine before i
started paying doom 3.

Old September 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
Biz

Are you guys overclocking these cards, or are they at stock speeds and still
dying?

My gut says overclocked since you cant get them replaced under warranty. But
thats why I'm asking.

Old September 2nd 04, 10:40 PM
me!!

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:25:02 GMT, "Biz" wrote:

Are you guys overclocking these cards, or are they at stock speeds and still+

Nope, running at stock speeds all its ( short ) life
dying?

My gut says overclocked since you cant get them replaced under warranty. But
thats why I'm asking.

overclockers took it back under warranty and offered me the option to
pay the difference for the 6800.

.. .

Old September 2nd 04, 11:59 PM
Judge

this is all very simple -

ATI = ****!

run, do not walk - from all ATI products.
Old September 3rd 04, 02:17 AM
GTX_SlotCar

My gut says overclocked since you cant get them replaced under warranty.
But
thats why I'm asking.

Mine was OC'd, had a VGA Silencer installed and ramsinks. It was actually an
ATI oem product. It said 'Built by ATI' on it. There were no Sapphire
markings. It had an ATI part number and serial number. Sapphire builds about
75% of the 'Built by ATI' cards. For Sapphire to be able to sell them to
non-system-building retailers, they have to include a Sapphire install cd
and market it under their name. They also market their own Powered by ATI
cards.
They are getting replaced under warranty. ATI wouldn't repair it (even
though they issued an RMA based on the part#) because they said it wasn't
their product. Sapphire sells to dealers who offer a one year warranty, so
it was up to newegg to take care of it. They really can't tell if it's been
OC'd. I took the VGA Silencer off but left the ramsinks on.
This is the 1st ATI product I've owned that's failed. It seems that many of
them had the VGA Silencer on them. I wonder if it's the bracket on the back
of it that created too much pressure on the gpu. The 9800Pro, a few months
ago, was popular like the 6800GT is now (but at half the price). It's still
a good fast card for games like Call of Duty and anything before that.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old September 3rd 04, 07:17 AM
John Lewis

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:17:32 -0400, "GTX_SlotCar"
wrote:

[...]

Does the 9800 Pro have a core-temperature monitor ? If not, you
play Russian roulette, especially if the ambient temperature
(Summer in the N.Hemisphere) is a little warm and the
air-conditioner is set to an economic level. The default heat-sink
and fan on the 9800 series are pitifully small, due to Ati's fixation
on a single-slot solution. Of course, if you put a card in the
adjacent PCI slot, the 9800 is effectively smothered in its
own heat. DO NOT put any card in the adjacent PCI with
ANY of the 9700, 9800, FX5900/50, or 6800 series. You
are just asking for an early death. At least, the FX59xx and
6800 series all have core temp monitors, and I believe that
the 6800 series internally throttles back when the core temp
reaches ~ 90 degrees C.... taking a page out of Intel's CPU
thermal-protection book.

John Lewis

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old September 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
Chip

"Judge" wrote in message
news
this is all very simple -

ATI = ****!

run, do not walk - from all ATI products.

I am sure we will all consider your advice very seriously Judge. I mean,
with that considered, reasoned argument and all.

Chip

Old September 3rd 04, 03:07 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Does the 9800 Pro have a core-temperature monitor ?

No. The 9800 Ultra does, and of course, the 800s do, but 9800s and below do
not. That's why I added the VGA Silencer and ramsinks. In fact, my card
didn't run good without them at stock speeds. It had texture tearing
associated with hot or highly OCd memory and dots or sudden lockups
associated with a hot core. I actually got better benchmarks by
underclocking the card. With the Silencer and ramsinks, I find the highest
OC that is artifact free, then back it down 5 mHz. It's been sort of a "set
it and forget it" thing for me that's worked well. I'm an OC'er, but not a
fanatic (I run my cpu at 3112 because at 3300 I have to bump the voltages up
..25 volts on the cpu and memory).
I've generally never had good luck using PCI slot 1. Sometimes it would be
OK, but usually not. I checked into it a few years back and read somewhere
that it shares steering (or something) with the AGP slot, so it should be
avoided.

Gary
--
Tweaks & Reviews