Upgrade to 5700 good idea?

Old August 23rd 04, 01:06 PM
p00lb0y

Default Upgrade to 5700 good idea?

Hello all. I am looking to buy the following nVidia card:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-044&depa=0

(it is titled: Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 Video Card, 256MB DDR,
128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700Q" -RETAIL should you not
wish to click an unknown link ;-) )

It looks like a good balance of price and performance but I am
particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Old August 23rd 04, 02:28 PM
Chris

particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.

i dont have that particular card, mines a gigabyte fx5700 card, upgraded
from a geforce 3ti200, and am very pleased with it , quiet and hits an
average of 30fps on medium detail at 800x600 on doom 3 on a 2200+ athlon XP

Old August 23rd 04, 02:32 PM
Eric

5700 is okay, but the best Nvidia buy (RIGHT NOW), is the 5900XT. However,
that will be surpassed in about a month by the new 6600 GT.

So if you can spend closer to $200, I would hold out for the 6600 GT -- that
will be, by far, the best price/performance in the Nvidia family come
mid-september.

If you want to spend less than $150.00, then wait for the 6600GT to come
out, and snap up the 5900XT when the price comes down.

The 5700 is kind of old at this point.

Old August 23rd 04, 09:32 PM
jafar

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:28:16 +0100, Chris wrote:

particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.

i dont have that particular card, mines a gigabyte fx5700 card, upgraded
from a geforce 3ti200, and am very pleased with it , quiet and hits an
average of 30fps on medium detail at 800x600 on doom 3 on a 2200+ athlon XP

I have the same card and I am also very happy. Are you overclocking it
with the included util? I'm running it at 475Mhz GPU and 600Mhz MEM. It's
very stable at that setting. I haven't tried higher though

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

Old August 23rd 04, 10:17 PM
Tool

My friend just bought that 5700 about 2 weeks ago, its a nice card, it
does a great job on even doom 3 but here is what you need to ask
yourself, do you want this card to last? Cause as soon as half-life 2
or RtCW 2 come out you may be short handed.... This is a good card,
but it'll start showing age pretty soon. My oppinion is if you really
badly want a card and can't afford a bit more to get something like
the 5900XT then go for it, but if you can wait, play the market for a
month or so and see what prices you can land.

==============
Old August 24th 04, 09:31 AM
Chris

I have the same card and I am also very happy. Are you overclocking it
with the included util? I'm running it at 475Mhz GPU and 600Mhz MEM. It's
very stable at that setting. I haven't tried higher though

i was playing around with overclocking it last night, and think i took it
too 500 / 630 but running 3dmark and doom3 benchmarks it was actually
slightly slower!? anything higher than that and just picture breakup,
whatever i ran it at tho it stayed at a nice cool 32 degree's

one wierd thing with the card tho , a lot of utils and benchmark programs
read the speed at 100 / 50mhz ?!

from 3dmark..

Display Information
Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
Driver NameNVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
Driver Version6.1.7.7 Driver StatusNon WHQL - Not FM Approved
Video Memory128 MB Core Clock50 MHz
Memory Clock100 MHz

score of 2736 tho which i'm happy with , seems to drop to 2300 something
when i overclock it!

Attached Images

Old August 24th 04, 10:05 AM
jafar

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:31:31 +0100, Chris wrote:

one wierd thing with the card tho , a lot of utils and benchmark programs
read the speed at 100 / 50mhz ?!

That happens to me too. Weird but not too much of a problem

score of 2736 tho which i'm happy with , seems to drop to 2300 something
when i overclock it!

Try the 475/600 mark. 475Mhz is the GPU speed of the Ultra. While 600 for
the MEM is not going to approach the Ultra speed, its a good trade off for
speed v temp. As for Doom3 I also run 800x600 med detail. I also turned on
2xQ FSAA after overclocking and it is very playable as well as pretty