Power supply?

Old August 14th 04, 09:52 PM
Pat

Default Power supply?

I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. I presently have an ati
7500. I upgraded my ram to 512 and plan on adding another 512 stick soon.
I upgraded my power supply to an Antec 430. Now when I installed it the
holes only line up one way, but the second intake fan faces the top of the
case, not towards the center of the case. Is this right? I want to make
sure this is right. I also never had a second fan, so I added one. Now my
cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out there?
What's the gamers mouse?

TIA,
Pat

Old August 14th 04, 10:47 PM
Shawk

"Pat" wrote in message
I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. I presently have an

ati
7500. I upgraded my ram to 512 and plan on adding another 512 stick soon.
I upgraded my power supply to an Antec 430. Now when I installed it the
holes only line up one way, but the second intake fan faces the top of

the
case, not towards the center of the case. Is this right? I want to make
sure this is right. I also never had a second fan, so I added one. Now my
cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out there?
What's the gamers mouse?

TIA,
Pat

On the Antec PSU the fan should point downwards. It pulls air from the case
and blows it out the back via the second fan. You have it upside down. The
XP2000+ will be OK for a while but should be your next project - start
saving your money. The other 512MB of RAM is almost essential for some
newer games such as Far cry. Using a MS Intellimouse optical here but its
user preference. Shaun

Old August 14th 04, 11:20 PM
Pat

Shaun,
What cpu should I upgrade to?

Pat

Old August 14th 04, 11:30 PM
Mr. Brian Allen

Shaun,
What cpu should I upgrade to?

Start looking at something around the 2500 XP level. Go as high above that
as you can afford.

Old August 15th 04, 02:05 AM
Cuzman

"Pat" wrote in message

" I plan on upgrading to a nvidia 6800 to play games. "

It would be a waste of money upgrading to a 6800 now if you haven't got a
system that can make use of it. You've stated that you currently have an
Antec 430W, an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM and a Radeon 7500. If you advise
on what motherboard you have, and what the RAM specifics are (DDR? SDRAM?
manufacturer? PCxxxx rating?), then it would be easier to advise on an
all-round upgrade for gaming. You would also need to state what your budget
is.

Old August 15th 04, 03:13 AM
Pat

MOBO is a MSI KM2M combo series (VIA KM266 266 chipset) . I can upgrade mem
to 2 gigs DDR 2700.

Thanks,
Pat

Old August 15th 04, 10:54 AM
Richard Cavell

On 15/8/04 6:52 AM, Pat wrote:

Now my cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games out there?
What's the gamers mouse?

I'm not aware of any game that would be held back by your CPU. I think
they'd be held back by your video card.

I use a dual-optical Logitech mouse and it works superbly. It has 3
mouse buttons plus the scrollwheel (which is able to be pushed down for
a fourth button as well).
Old August 15th 04, 03:08 PM
Pat

If I want to go cheaper, what would be the next best video card to get
instead of the GEforce 6800

Thanks,
Pat

"Richard Cavell" wrote in message
om.au...

Old August 15th 04, 06:50 PM
Laura

I have a GF5950 running on a o/c 2600 with 1gb ram.
I play Doom 3 and Far Cry just fine at 1024x768 on high settings.

Jeff

On 15/8/04 6:52 AM, Pat wrote:

Now my cpu is a AMD 2000 xp+, is this plenty to play most of the games

out there?
What's the gamers mouse?

I'm not aware of any game that would be held back by your CPU. I think
they'd be held back by your video card.

I use a dual-optical Logitech mouse and it works superbly. It has 3
mouse buttons plus the scrollwheel (which is able to be pushed down for
a fourth button as well).

Life expectancy Travis King Asus Motherboards 65 January 28th 05 08:37 PM
Really low 1000-1100 RPM reading on Power Supply Fan Hupjack Homebuilt PC's 6 April 25th 04 09:49 AM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
NF7-S power up problem Jeff Green Abit Motherboards 9 January 18th 04 07:06 PM