Need help with new computer: PCI-express or not

Old August 13th 04, 06:13 AM
ColbytheDog

Default Need help with new computer: PCI-express or not

Its time to buy a new computer. I really don't have the time or
inclination to build one myself. I have a great deal of respect for
those that can but it is not an optiion for me. The question is
whether I should go with a AGP or PCI-e system. I have read the
boards throughly and it appears to be the general opinion that PCI-e
isn't anything more than a marking gimmick at the present time. My
probelm is that I tend to keep computers for a long time with an
occational upgrade to the graphic card. This next machine is going to
have to last about 4 years. I don't want to turn around in two years
and find that I have to get another computer casue games won't run on
this one.
So should I bother PCI-e?
If you feel like giving me your thoughts on ABS or Hypersonic, that
would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Old August 13th 04, 07:30 PM
Alan

No graphic card at this time or near future can utilize full capability of
what the PCI express delivers. Until 2-3 years later. At that time you will
need a new pc anyway.

m...

Old August 13th 04, 07:51 PM
Sham B

If you feel like giving me your thoughts on ABS or Hypersonic, that
would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Never a good idea to invest in the first rev of a new technology. I would sit tight with what you
have and wait for PCI-e v2. The other options is to go for trailing edge stuff in the interrim
because it is very cheap right now - I picked up an XP2800+ cpu, nforce2 mobo and a 9800 pro, all
of which seem to have extended the life of my rig for a year or two ( or rather, 'it can run Doom 3
well').... but that depends on what you have now.

Now certainly isnt a good time to buy new technology IMO though, because the added performance just
doesnt warrent it - the software to really test 64 bit processing isnt there, so we dont know how
well it will work, and Doom3 (and presumably HL2) seems to be acceptable with trailing edge kit (at
least it works well with mine!)

Old August 13th 04, 09:01 PM
Ed Light

You could wait until next year and if you're an intensive gamer, get a board
that can take 2 pci-express video cards. That way if you got, say, a 6600 GT
and it eventually wasn't fast enough your could throw another in and put the
jumper on between them. The non-GT 6600 won't have that capability.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 14th 04, 12:07 AM
Jason Ash

"Ed Light" waxed eloquent in

You could wait until next year and if you're an intensive gamer, get a
board that can take 2 pci-express video cards. That way if you got,
say, a 6600 GT and it eventually wasn't fast enough your could throw
another in and put the jumper on between them. The non-GT 6600 won't
have that capability.

Of course, the problem with this, is that currently the only boards that
do / will offer dual 16x PCI-e slots are also generally dual Xeon boards
that cost around $2-300....

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------
Old August 14th 04, 01:50 AM
ColbytheDog

"Sham B" wrote in message t.net...
[...]

Thanks for the input. My present machine is about 5 yrd old. I
increase the RAM to 256 and stuck a ATI 9000 in the hopes of making it
strech to early 2005. Unfortunately, its got to go. So I gues the way
to go for now is with the AGP based systems.
Old August 14th 04, 02:24 AM
Luke Piasecki

"Alan" wrote in message
No graphic card at this time or near future can utilize full capability of
what the PCI express delivers. Until 2-3 years later. At that time you

will
need a new pc anyway.

Alan, why???
one problem is that I was looking for a dual Xeon motherboard (workstation,
compatible with 64-bit Naconas) and they seem to all have PXI-Express (the
new cards). Now, one can't fit AGP into PCI-Express from what I know...
Why do you say that graphic cards can't utilize PCI-Express now?

Old August 14th 04, 03:55 AM
Ed Light

"Jason Ash" wrote

Of course, the problem with this, is that currently the only boards that
do / will offer dual 16x PCI-e slots are also generally dual Xeon boards
that cost around $2-300....

You have to wait until next year....

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 14th 04, 07:28 AM
J. Clarke

Luke Piasecki wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
No graphic card at this time or near future can utilize full capability
of what the PCI express delivers. Until 2-3 years later. At that time you

will
need a new pc anyway.

Alan, why???
one problem is that I was looking for a dual Xeon motherboard
(workstation, compatible with 64-bit Naconas) and they seem to all have
PXI-Express (the new cards). Now, one can't fit AGP into PCI-Express from
what I know... Why do you say that graphic cards can't utilize PCI-Express
now?

Because they aren't doing anything with it that they don't do just as well
with AGP.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

PCI Express? Christo General 8 October 25th 04 10:25 PM
Bad news for ATI: Nvidia to 'own' ATI at CeBit - no pixel shader 3.0 support in R420 (long) NV55 Ati Videocards 12 February 24th 04 06:29 AM
Computer totally up shit creek Paul Harris Homebuilt PC's 18 February 10th 04 11:23 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM
How to Fix Your Computer Ben Dellar Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 11th 03 09:39 AM