Doom3 framerate solved (5900SE) - turn off second monitor support

Old August 4th 04, 09:45 AM
idog

Default Doom3 framerate solved (5900SE) - turn off second monitor support

P4 3.0GHz, 5900SE, 9.0c, latest nvidia drivers

I was having strange problem with doom3. Sometimes my framerate was
in the 30s and sometimes it was 3-5. No rhyme or reason???????????

I tried just about everything else first. As soon as I disabled my
second monitor, my framerate was solid.

I was convinced it was sound related because dialog seemed to cause
problems.
Old August 4th 04, 10:00 AM
Spack

"idog" wrote in message
om...
P4 3.0GHz, 5900SE, 9.0c, latest nvidia drivers

I was having strange problem with doom3. Sometimes my framerate was
in the 30s and sometimes it was 3-5. No rhyme or reason???????????

I tried just about everything else first. As soon as I disabled my
second monitor, my framerate was solid.

I was convinced it was sound related because dialog seemed to cause
problems.

Strange. I'm running my 5900XT with the 56.72s in dualview with a TV
connected up displaying IRC so I can up with chats while gaming, and Doom3
has been running nicely - default settings on an XP2400 give me 59fps in
demo1, and running around Alpha Labs 2 I've been getting 45 - 60fps, no slow
downs that I've noticed.

Dan

Old August 4th 04, 02:36 PM
Eric

Umm, timedemo 1 of 59 fps in timedemo1? ? I don't believe it. What are
your machine specs?

Also, what game settings are you running: what resolution, what settings,
etc.

Did you turn off anything in advanced settings?

That sounds mighty high -- as only the GeForce 6800s were getting that high
in high quality at 1024 x 768.

"Spack" wrote in message
.. .
om...

Old August 4th 04, 03:43 PM
Spack

"Eric" wrote in message
Umm, timedemo 1 of 59 fps in timedemo1? ? I don't believe it. What are
your machine specs?

XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Asus A7N8X-X, XP Pro SP1, 56.72 nVidia drivers,
latest nForce2 drivers

Also, what game settings are you running: what resolution, what settings,
etc.

Default. I haven't touched the graphics settings in Doom yet. I'll have a
mess tonight. All nVidia settings default too, only change made was to
enable dualview when I installed the drivers last week.

Did you turn off anything in advanced settings?

Not touched the settings at all. I have no idea what it's running in.

Dan

Old August 4th 04, 03:50 PM
Eric

"Spack" wrote in message
.. .

XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Asus A7N8X-X, XP Pro SP1, 56.72 nVidia drivers,
latest nForce2 drivers

Default. I haven't touched the graphics settings in Doom yet. I'll have a
mess tonight. All nVidia settings default too, only change made was to
enable dualview when I installed the drivers last week.

Dan

I hate those names of Anthlon chips. So what does an XP2400 mean (how does
it compare to say a Pentium 4 2.6 ghz)?

Also, did you run timedemo demo 1 command from the console (or are you just
running around looking at framerates). I still don't see a 5900xt going
that high in the timedemo command(unless you are at 640 x 480 resolution
maybe).

I bet you are on medium quality though -- as my 5900xt defaulted to medium
quality at 800 x 600. I set it to 1024 x 768 (high quality) though. I
think the default is based almost entirely on the vid card -- not the CPU.

Also, do you have Anisotropic Filtering set in your Nvidia drivers? If so,
that overrides the Doom settings.

Old August 4th 04, 04:07 PM
Spack

"Eric" wrote in message

"Spack" wrote in message
.. .

XP2400, 2x512MB PC3200, Asus A7N8X-X, XP Pro SP1, 56.72 nVidia drivers,
latest nForce2 drivers

Default. I haven't touched the graphics settings in Doom yet. I'll have

mess tonight. All nVidia settings default too, only change made was to
enable dualview when I installed the drivers last week.

Dan

I hate those names of Anthlon chips. So what does an XP2400 mean (how

does
it compare to say a Pentium 4 2.6 ghz)?

XP2400 is equivalent to an Athlon Thunderbird at 2.4Ghz, so it's around the
P4 2.4Ghz mark.

Also, did you run timedemo demo 1 command from the console (or are you

just
running around looking at framerates). I still don't see a 5900xt going
that high in the timedemo command(unless you are at 640 x 480 resolution
maybe).

I pressed Ctrl Alt ¬, and typed timedemo demo1. It ran the demo, and at the
end put a fps value up on the screen. That's the 59fps I posted.

I bet you are on medium quality though -- as my 5900xt defaulted to medium
quality at 800 x 600. I set it to 1024 x 768 (high quality) though. I
think the default is based almost entirely on the vid card -- not the CPU.

I'll find out when I get home from work.

Also, do you have Anisotropic Filtering set in your Nvidia drivers? If

so,
that overrides the Doom settings.

No idea. As I said, I haven't touched any of the nVidia driver settings
since install except to turn on dualview.

As to your comment about my claim of 59fps in the timedemo in the other
post, maybe you should reserve judgement until I've posted the settings
Doom3 is running in.

Dan

Old August 4th 04, 04:34 PM
Eric

"Spack" wrote in message
.. .

No idea. As I said, I haven't touched any of the nVidia driver settings
since install except to turn on dualview.

As to your comment about my claim of 59fps in the timedemo in the other
post, maybe you should reserve judgement until I've posted the settings
Doom3 is running in.

Dan

I'll wait, but it seems damn near impossible based on this article
(regardless of your settings, unless you made the game look like original
doom):

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDY=

Are you sure you have an FX 5900XT (and not a 5900 ultra).

Old August 4th 04, 04:38 PM
Granulated

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:50:11 -0400 "Eric" meeped :

Also, do you have Anisotropic Filtering set in your Nvidia drivers? If so,
that overrides the Doom settings.

Yeh.. force AF to OFF. makes a big difference to me.
After doing this I can now run smooth at 1024, MEDIUM with 4xAA
I set Vsync to ON.

P4 3ghz
1024MB ram
5900U 256
Audigy

oh..Frame rate is capped at 60 FPS anyway...just incase anyone didn't realise.
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Old August 4th 04, 04:55 PM
Spack

"Eric" wrote in message

"Spack" wrote in message
.. .

No idea. As I said, I haven't touched any of the nVidia driver settings
since install except to turn on dualview.

As to your comment about my claim of 59fps in the timedemo in the other
post, maybe you should reserve judgement until I've posted the settings
Doom3 is running in.

Dan

I'll wait, but it seems damn near impossible based on this article
(regardless of your settings, unless you made the game look like original
doom):

As I said, I didn't touch any settings, and it sire as hell doesn't look
anything like the original Doom.

I've been messing with getting the settings from my PC via remote access -
bit slow though as it's currently downloading stuff. Anyway, here's the
nVidia driver settings:

Image settings: Quality
AF: application-controlled
AA: application-controlled
Vsync: application-controlled

Doom 3 image settings taken directly from the cfg file (can't run it via
remote access and see what's going on to use the menus)

seta r_debugArrowStep "120"
seta r_debugLineWidth "1"
seta r_debugLineDepthTest "0"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta r_forceLoadImages "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"
seta r_brightness "1"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_customHeight "486"
seta r_customWidth "720"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "3"
seta r_multiSamples "0"
seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "20"
seta image_cacheMinK "200"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "2"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "1"
seta image_roundDown "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "0"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta image_anisotropy "1"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

I guess this is running at 800x600 looking at the height and width settings
(internally the engine defines this is 720x486, Googling I see this appears
in a number of Doom3 cfg files). I'll try it at higher settings when I get
home.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDY=

Are you sure you have an FX 5900XT (and not a 5900 ultra).

Leadtek A350XT TDH FX5900XT -
http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/wi...0xt_tdh_1.html

And I haven't touched the settings on that either - stock speeds and
standard BIOS. In fact nothing on my system is overclocked, everything is at
standard speeds, and the OS was clean installed 2 weeks ago (upgraded from
2K to XP).

Dan

Old August 4th 04, 05:38 PM
Eric

"Granulated" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:50:11 -0400 "Eric" meeped :

Yeh.. force AF to OFF. makes a big difference to me.
After doing this I can now run smooth at 1024, MEDIUM with 4xAA
I set Vsync to ON.

P4 3ghz
1024MB ram
5900U 256
Audigy

oh..Frame rate is capped at 60 FPS anyway...just incase anyone didn't

realise.
--

Hell, with your setup, you should be able to get decent frames at 1024 x 768
(HIGH QUALITY). Per hardocp article, you should try NO AA -- hardocp says

What do you get with timedemo1 on your settings?