can i connect my vcr to my pc (sorry if this has been asked before)

Old February 25th 04, 05:12 PM
Andy wilson

Default can i connect my vcr to my pc (sorry if this has been asked before)

Hi hope somebody has some advice.

i have audio playing from my vcr through my sound card no problem, but
can i connect the vcr to my graphics card (GeForce4 MX 440) So i can
watch vcr video on my monitor, or is the s-video socket on the back of
my card only to take a signal OUT from the pc and cannot take a signal
IN.

Apologies for lack of knowledge but i have searched and cannot find
any info anywhere.

Many thanks

Andy...

PS:
The end result of my actions is hopefully to record old vhs videos to
dvd on my dvd burner.
Old February 25th 04, 05:24 PM
Dave Hau

You can if your video card supports video-in (the "VI" in "VIVO"). Look up
the technical specifications of your video card at the manufacturer's
website and see if VIVO is supported for your model.

- Dave

om...

Old February 25th 04, 06:48 PM
John Lewis

On 25 Feb 2004 09:12:46 -0800, (Andy wilson)
wrote:

Hi hope somebody has some advice.

i have audio playing from my vcr through my sound card no problem, but
can i connect the vcr to my graphics card (GeForce4 MX 440) So i can
watch vcr video on my monitor, or is the s-video socket on the back of
my card only to take a signal OUT from the pc and cannot take a signal
IN.

Apologies for lack of knowledge but i have searched and cannot find
any info anywhere.

Do a Google search for the specs of your particular brand and model
of video card. You will find them.

Otherwise we cannot help you. Some boards have the requisite
transcoder chip for video in, some don't. If you inspect your
board and see a blank square or rectangle of solder-pads intended
for an integrated circuit and not far from the video socket, you may
be out of luck, but only the specification for your particular board
with really confirm or deny.

However, you can buy the appropriate hardware for the required
task. Pinnacle does a nice line of very high-quality analog video
I/O cards for PCs, together with all the software needed to
accomplish the task.

See
www.pinnaclesys.com for specs ( but do not buy there !!)

Studio Moviebox DV might just satisfy you needs.
$180 from B&H Photovideo (www.bhphotovideo.com).

You can do a Google Search for best prices/ best sources
if you are not in the US.

Cobbled-together solutions using VIVO are normally extremely poor
quality and VHS quality is so poor that it cannot acceptably survive
any further quality degradation.

John Lewis