Asylum BFG brand geForce FX 5900 - good or bad?

Old November 30th 03, 04:37 AM
Luke Piasecki

Default Asylum BFG brand geForce FX 5900 - good or bad?

Just wondering if Asylum BFG brand is just as crappy as PNY or almost as
good as Asus or MSI?

Sorry about all the questions, just making sure I make a good purchase.

Kind regards,
Luke

Old November 30th 03, 09:25 AM
ginfest

"Harry Edwards" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 04:37:34 +0000, Luke Piasecki wrote:

Just wondering if Asylum BFG brand is just as crappy as PNY or almost as
good as Asus or MSI?

Sorry about all the questions, just making sure I make a good purchase.

Kind regards,
Luke

I have a BFG card and about a week after I started using it the fan
started to develop a BUZZing sound. The only way I cured it was by
loosening the screws that held the fan in place. It was a FX5600 AGP with
video inputs. I asked on here last week if it was possible to replace the
fan but nobody responded. Maybe I got a lemon - thats my guess.

Using the BFG 5900 here, it has a "gold"-colored 2 fan HS and some sort of
blue light fans, bought in July from Best Buy.
Got it clocked to 475/950 running the 53.03 drivers and no problems here.
Supposedly BFG offere a"real" lifetime warranty and I have also noticed one
of the principles of the company posting on a certain web forum, so it seems
to be one of the better manufacturers to buy from.

---

Old November 30th 03, 01:43 PM
Dark Avenger

Harry Edwards wrote in message ...
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 04:37:34 +0000, Luke Piasecki wrote:

Just wondering if Asylum BFG brand is just as crappy as PNY or almost as
good as Asus or MSI?

Sorry about all the questions, just making sure I make a good purchase.

Kind regards,
Luke

I have a BFG card and about a week after I started using it the fan
started to develop a BUZZing sound. The only way I cured it was by
loosening the screws that held the fan in place. It was a FX5600 AGP with
video inputs. I asked on here last week if it was possible to replace the
fan but nobody responded. Maybe I got a lemon - thats my guess.

I heard others used a drup of "light mechanical oil" like you use on a
bike, one drop is enough and then let is spin for a few hours...
Old November 30th 03, 11:57 PM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:19:24 -0500
Harry Edwards wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 05:43:07 -0800, Dark Avenger wrote:

Harry Edwards wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 04:37:34 +0000, Luke Piasecki wrote:

Just wondering if Asylum BFG brand is just as crappy as PNY or

almost as good as Asus or MSI?

Sorry about all the questions, just making sure I make a good

purchase.
Kind regards,
Luke

I have a BFG card and about a week after I started using it the fan
started to develop a BUZZing sound. The only way I cured it was by
loosening the screws that held the fan in place. It was a FX5600

AGP with video inputs. I asked on here last week if it was possible
to replace the fan but nobody responded. Maybe I got a lemon -
thats my guess.

I heard others used a drup of "light mechanical oil" like you use on
a bike, one drop is enough and then let is spin for a few hours...

Not an acceptable solution. Every few hours cracking the case and
dropping oil onto a component.

If it's "every few hours" then you have a defective or broken fan.
Generally adding a drop of oil will if it works at all work for several
years.

If loosening the screws helped then odds are that when tight they were
deforming the frame of the fan enough that there was contact between the
fan and frame somewhere--some fiber washers in the right place will
probably resolve that problem.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old December 1st 03, 08:04 PM

[...]