Refresh rate... should be higher, I think.

Old November 12th 03, 08:21 PM
Dommy

Default Refresh rate... should be higher, I think.

As of recently I'm a happy owner of a GeForce4 MX 440 chipset... but I'm
having troubles with the refresh rate... While in Windows (XP Pro) it works
fine (the refresh rate is 100 Hz in 800*600), when I start up a game (Jedi
Knight III, if it matters to anyone) the refresh rate goes down to, oh, I'd
say about 60 Hz (while the resolution remains 800*600). You don't need me to
tell you how annoying and even painful this can get...
So, if anyone has encountered the same problem and come up with a solution,
I'd like to hear him/her out.

Perhaps I need new drivers? (though I don't think mine are too old... and I
have DirectX 9 already installed, so don't bother proposing that) But in
case I do, where can I find the exact ones for my
chipset?

Thanks in advance, should I recieve any helpful advice.

--
Dommy

Old November 12th 03, 08:50 PM
phobos

Dommy wrote:

As of recently I'm a happy owner of a GeForce4 MX 440 chipset... but I'm
having troubles with the refresh rate... While in Windows (XP Pro) it works
fine (the refresh rate is 100 Hz in 800*600), when I start up a game (Jedi
Knight III, if it matters to anyone) the refresh rate goes down to, oh, I'd
say about 60 Hz (while the resolution remains 800*600). You don't need me to
tell you how annoying and even painful this can get...
So, if anyone has encountered the same problem and come up with a solution,
I'd like to hear him/her out.

Perhaps I need new drivers? (though I don't think mine are too old... and I
have DirectX 9 already installed, so don't bother proposing that) But in
case I do, where can I find the exact ones for my
chipset?

Thanks in advance, should I recieve any helpful advice.

The newest driver have a built in refresh rate forcer. It can override
any refresh rate in any resolution. It does it for both accelerated and
2d modes.

Old November 12th 03, 09:32 PM
jeffc

"Dommy" wrote in message
As of recently I'm a happy owner of a GeForce4 MX 440 chipset... but I'm
having troubles with the refresh rate... While in Windows (XP Pro) it

works
fine (the refresh rate is 100 Hz in 800*600), when I start up a game (Jedi
Knight III, if it matters to anyone) the refresh rate goes down to, oh,

I'd
say about 60 Hz (while the resolution remains 800*600). You don't need me

tell you how annoying and even painful this can get...
So, if anyone has encountered the same problem and come up with a

solution,
I'd like to hear him/her out.

Perhaps I need new drivers?

Yeah, maybe. Or it could be your monitor's fault. There are basically 3
things involved he
- resolution
- refresh rate
- number of colors
Your video card, your driver, and your monitor must all be synch to support
whatever combination of 3 you're using. They might all support your desktop
combination, but when you enter the game, the number of colors jumps, and
the combination can't be handled.

Old November 12th 03, 10:49 PM
pudj

"Dommy" wrote in message
[...]

do a google for reforce that will sort it

Old November 13th 03, 09:39 AM
Daniel Crichton

Dommy wrote:
As of recently I'm a happy owner of a GeForce4 MX 440 chipset... but
I'm having troubles with the refresh rate... While in Windows (XP
Pro) it works fine (the refresh rate is 100 Hz in 800*600), when I
start up a game (Jedi Knight III, if it matters to anyone) the
refresh rate goes down to, oh, I'd say about 60 Hz (while the
resolution remains 800*600). You don't need me to tell you how
annoying and even painful this can get... So, if anyone has
encountered the same problem and come up with a solution, I'd like to
hear him/her out.

Perhaps I need new drivers? (though I don't think mine are too old...
and I have DirectX 9 already installed, so don't bother proposing
that) But in case I do, where can I find the exact ones for my
chipset?

60Hz is the 2K/XP default refresh rate. When you run JK3 you're switching
from 2D to OpenGL, so XP switches the rate to 60Hz (as you have only defined
100Hz from the desktop properties for 2D, and maybe you've set the DirectX
override which doesn't apply to OpenGL apps/games). With the latest drivers
you can set an override to force OGL to use say 100Hz at 800x600. With older
drivers you could use either Reforce (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/) or
RefreshLock (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rl/) to manage the OpenGL
overriding for you (I use RefreshLock as Reforce didn't seem to work
properly with the 42.70 drivers I'm running). These tools allow you to set a
global refresh rate for each resolution you run at (so 2D, OpenGL, and
DirectX are covered).

Dan

Old November 16th 03, 02:25 PM
Billy_Bat

"R.V. Gronoff" wrote in
message ...
Dommy a écrit:
[...]

Try this little utility:
http://520010296761-0001.bei.t-onlin...g/nvfixsfx.exe

--
Merci d'enlever le-munster-du-frigo pour me répondre par mail.

I tried that one, and it worked quite fine for some games. Others, (BF1942)
just wouldn't run. They would start and then just crash back to desktop. If
I removed it, things went back to normal. It assured that I wouldn't spend
too much time playing games...
Good Luck!
BB

Old November 17th 03, 10:26 AM
Daniel Crichton

Billy_Bat wrote:

I tried that one, and it worked quite fine for some games. Others,
(BF1942) just wouldn't run. They would start and then just crash back
to desktop. If I removed it, things went back to normal. It assured
that I wouldn't spend too much time playing games...

To get BF1942 to work properly with a refresh rate tool you need to edit the
videodefault.con file and change renderer.allowallrefreshrates to 1. If you
don't then BF crashes out when the utility overrides the refresh rate. Not
the nicest bit of coding there, but at least it has a workaround. You'll
also then find that the BF resolution list now has rates too (so instead of
1024x768 you should see 1024x768@60hz, 1024x768@72hz, 1024x768@85hz, etc).

Dan

Old November 17th 03, 11:12 AM
Billy_Bat

"Daniel Crichton" wrote in message
. ..
Billy_Bat wrote:

I tried that one, and it worked quite fine for some games. Others,
(BF1942) just wouldn't run. They would start and then just crash back
to desktop. If I removed it, things went back to normal. It assured
that I wouldn't spend too much time playing games...

To get BF1942 to work properly with a refresh rate tool you need to edit

the
videodefault.con file and change renderer.allowallrefreshrates to 1. If

you
don't then BF crashes out when the utility overrides the refresh rate. Not
the nicest bit of coding there, but at least it has a workaround. You'll
also then find that the BF resolution list now has rates too (so instead

of
1024x768 you should see 1024x768@60hz, 1024x768@72hz, 1024x768@85hz, etc).

Dan

Hey, thanks for the heads up! I just hope it doesn't lead to a divorce!
BB

Old November 18th 03, 10:58 AM
Daniel Crichton

Billy_Bat wrote:

Hey, thanks for the heads up! I just hope it doesn't lead to a
divorce! BB

Heh, I know the feeling - I managed to get onto the DesertCombat testing
team, and then met a woman, now I have to try and work out how to balance
the two. At the moment DC is losing out, but I squeeze it in if I can get
away with it

Dan