Abit Siluro FX5200 DT vs. Prolink Geforce FX 5200

Old August 15th 03, 03:26 PM
Matt

Default Abit Siluro FX5200 DT vs. Prolink Geforce FX 5200

Do you have experience with these or can you help me make sense of the
specs? Not clear why or whether I should prefer one or the other.

Both:
Nvidia FX5200 chipset, 128MB DDR, AGP 8X, DVI, TVout, Dual 350MHz
RAMDACs, Retail boxed.

================ Abit ================
$77 shipped,newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ion=14-123-123
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/gra...ies=2&model=46
"6.4 GB/sec memory bandwidth"
"2048x1536@ 75Hz"

================ Prolink =============
Model VTV-5200-128AD
$72 shipped, special $5 off, newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ion=14-108-115
http://www.prolink-usa.com/english/p...200-128ad.html
cooling fan
"500 MHz memory bus", also available in a "400 MHz" model
"Provides double the bandwidth of AGP 4X-1.1GB/sec.vs.2.1GB/sec. AGP 8X"
"Max display resolution 2048x1536x32bpp @85Hz"

Old August 18th 03, 07:04 AM
Ron Merts

If the pictures are accurate from NewEgg the Pixelview comes with 2 extra
CDs that *could* have some extra software or demos on them. The link to the
card from Pixelview shows a different card tho (look at the two pictures,
the memory is located differently on the board - the Newegg pictures show
what appears to be 128-bit datapath memory while the ProLink sit eshows what
looks to be 64-bit datapath configuration). The Abit card is, according to
their website, 128-bit pipeline on the entire card. I'd probably go with
the Abit card and look at swapping the passive heatsink for an active
heatsink/fan combo if I wanted some additional cooling on the GPU. I'm
pretty sure that the low-end ProLink card uses a 64-bit datapath which is
going to kill any hope for performance. Remember the FX 5200 is an
entry-level card so your performance is going to be towards the lower end of
the scale anyway you go; but when paired with a fast CPU the performance is
still adequate for many applications - as long as you are not expecting or
wanting 50fps in Quake or Unreal Tournament.

Ron