GA-7VRXP mobo killed or just comatosed?

Old October 3rd 04, 11:11 AM
Mr Greenstone

Default GA-7VRXP mobo killed or just comatosed?

Hello all. Hope someone can help. Last weekend I was in the process of
upgrading a friend's PC. First job was to replace an ageing, noisy 250W
power supply unit. The replacement was a 250W unit I had recently taken out
of a PC at home and had been in good working order and clean. When I put the
power unit in my friend's PC and powered up, the unit went up in smoke. A
gradual burning, not a sudden explosion. Needless to say I quickly
disconnected the power supply. The PC was booting up as normal when I
disconnected.

I had not made any hardware or software changes by this time. I put the
original PSU back in and found that the PC was practically dead when I tried
to switch on. There were no signs of life except the little LED near the
mobo ATX power connector responding as normal to power on/off. Also, the
keyboard lights flashed very briefly. The CPU and PSU fans did not move.
I've tried everything I can think of to resurrect the system: disconnected
all drives and cards from the motherboard, reset the CMOS, removed the
battery for a couple of hours. Even replaced the CPU with my own. Still
nothing.

I can see no damage to any part of the board (burnouts, fried capacitors
etc.). Do I have a dead and useless board or is there something I may have
overlooked?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul Armitage
(Self-explanatory anti-spam reply address)

Old October 4th 04, 01:36 AM
TX

Mr Greenstone wrote:
[...]

Same thing happened to me, it was a loose graphics card. Just take
everything out and put it back, inlcuding RAM.
Old October 9th 04, 03:51 PM
Mr Greenstone

"TX" wrote in message
Mr Greenstone wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. Tried that but it didn't work. The only sign of life in
the motherboard is the little LED near the ATX connector. I've tried
progressively adding things to the motherboard, from the CPU to the full
complement of cards and drives. Still no life.

Old October 26th 04, 03:48 PM
me

"Mr Greenstone" wrote in message
"TX" wrote in message
Mr Greenstone wrote:
[...]

Try removing the board and cards from the case, I had a similar problem and
it turned out to be a short circuit between the case and board...

Bad mobo? wayneP Homebuilt PC's 7 December 23rd 04 10:00 AM
HELP......need pin or wire color codes for USB connector on P4U-LA mobo (micro-ATX) TJM Asus Motherboards 1 July 23rd 04 08:32 PM
Help with overclocking Duron on gigabyte mobo! matiii Overclocking AMD Processors 9 June 8th 04 11:06 AM
Help with overclocking Duron on gigabyte mobo! matiii Gigabyte Motherboards 9 June 8th 04 11:06 AM
SLK 900u killed my mobo? Alex Overclocking 4 November 14th 03 02:20 PM