GA7-NNXP - Any thoughts please on why CTRL+F1 doesn't do anything?

Old August 23rd 04, 04:40 PM
Pete

Default GA7-NNXP - Any thoughts please on why CTRL+F1 doesn't do anything?

Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all I
ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
keys??!?!?!??!

As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
from this simple operation.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Old August 23rd 04, 05:31 PM
Travis Jordan

Pete wrote:
Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1,
all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press
the keys??!?!?!??!

As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
preventing me from this simple operation.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Sounds like the CTRL key isn't being recognized. Could be bad keyboard.

Old August 23rd 04, 06:16 PM
Richard Dower

"Pete" wrote in message
Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all
ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
keys??!?!?!??!

As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
from this simple operation.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Shoddy keyboard?...is it PS2 or USB?, enabled USB keyboard support in
BIOS...lol, though you might need to hit Ctrl + F1 to find it.

:-)

Old August 23rd 04, 10:33 PM
Pete

Pete wrote in
:

Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1,
all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press
the keys??!?!?!??!

As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
preventing me from this simple operation.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other that
accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been USB
keyboards.

Next? ;-))

Pete

Old August 24th 04, 08:20 PM
Travis Jordan

Pete wrote:
Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other
that accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been USB
keyboards.

Next? ;-))

Um, do you have the current BIOS?

Old August 24th 04, 08:31 PM
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Pete wrote:
Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other
that accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been
USB keyboards.

Next? ;-))

Um, do you have the current BIOS?

Also, I see where the help screen comes up only every SECOND time that
you press CNTL+F1. I'm assuming that you looked to see if the advanced
BIOS features were there after the FIRST time you pressed CNTL+F1?

Old August 24th 04, 09:17 PM
Bobo

I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
is what I do (in case it's wrong!):

1. Hit Del during POST. Main setup screen appears.
2. Hit CtrlF1. Nothing happens.
3. Hit CtrlF1 again. F1 help screen is displayed (as if the Ctrl
key had simply been trapped/ignored).

Have successfully flashed to the most recent BIOS.

Bobo

Old August 24th 04, 10:42 PM
Travis Jordan

Bobo wrote:
[...]

On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you go
to lower level screens you will find added options within categories
that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check the Advanced
Chipset menu.

Old August 25th 04, 02:19 AM
Bobo

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:42:10 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Bobo wrote:
I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
is what I do (in case it's wrong!):

snippage

On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you go
to lower level screens you will find added options within categories
that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check the Advanced
Chipset menu.

Are you saying that Ctrl+F1 may not be available on some of the BIOS
updates that Gigabyte is distributing? I'm beginning to think that
might be the case here. However, my MB User's Manual mentions the
Ctrl+F1 trick in two places:

"If you require more advanced BIOS settings, please go to 'Advanced
BIOS' setting menu. To enter Advanced BIOS setting menu, press
'Ctrl+F1' key on the BIOS screen."

"If you don't find the setting you want, please press "Ctrl+F1" to
search the advanced option widden" (sic).

The User's Manual doesn't provide any screen shots or descriptions of
what settings are actually available on the mystery screen, so it's
pretty hard to determine if those settings can be found elsewhere. I
checked my "Advanced Chipset Features" and "Frequency/Voltage Control"
screens. They are almost identical to the screencaps printed in the
manual. Advanced Chipset Features provides some adjustment for System
Performance (Normal / Turbo / Manual), FSB Frequency
(100/133/166/200MHz), Memory Frequency, and AGP Frequency. There are
also a few USB-related settings which aren't shown in my manual. The
Frequency/Voltage Control screen offers limited adjustments to VCORE,
DIMM, and AGP voltages.

Maybe someone will be kind enough to summarize the contents of the
magic Ctrl+F1 screen?

Rob
Old August 25th 04, 07:18 PM
Deely Hunter

Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI visplay card
as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the bottom of the
options.