I removed my Northbridge...and now i'm scared

Old May 26th 04, 01:01 AM
Richard Dower

Default I removed my Northbridge...and now i'm scared

I have revision 2.1 of the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, today i removed the
Northbridge as i want to install a Microcool Northpole Northbridge.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minochcokit.html

The Northbridge came off very easily as it's a brand new motherboard, i then
removed the thermal interface material from the surface of the Intel 875P
chipset, using isoprophyl alcohol.

I took antistactic precautions, wrisp strap, no shoes or socks, careful not
to touch any sensitive parts etc.

My problem now is the installiation of the Northpole..the 875P chipset is
very much like the core of an AMD processor, it's slightly raised up and you
need rubber spacers to prevent the Northpole from damaging the 875P chipset
when screwing the Northpole into place.

But the Northpole does not included any rubber spacers?, what should i
do?....has anyone installed Microcool Northpole on an Intel 875P
motherboard?

And also, is it possible that any particles of thermal material left over on
either the 875P chipset or the surrounding area could cause problems?

I did try to clean the area as best i could, the the thermal material used
was not a goup or liquid, it was more like bluetack or putty.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old May 26th 04, 06:58 AM
Ritchie Stephenson

I carefully removed the rubber/sponge from the bottom of the original
Northbridge heatsink and stuck it onto the Northbridge chip. I was fitted a
water block by Asetek WaterChill to my Northbridge chip and this gave it
extra support and helped the water block sit square on the chip.

Old May 26th 04, 07:55 AM
Richard Dower

"Ritchie Stephenson" wrote
in message ...
I carefully removed the rubber/sponge from the bottom of the original
Northbridge heatsink and stuck it onto the Northbridge chip. I was fitted

water block by Asetek WaterChill to my Northbridge chip and this gave it
extra support and helped the water block sit square on the chip.

That's something i did consider, thanks.