Looking for GA-8I848-PL info

Old May 14th 04, 01:00 AM
Gary at SBC

Default Looking for GA-8I848-PL info

Anyone using one of these?

Old May 15th 04, 03:32 PM
McGrandpa

Gary at SBC wrote:
Anyone using one of these?

Me! Whatcha wanna know?

It works good!
McG.

Old May 17th 04, 02:53 AM
Gary at SBC

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
Gary at SBC wrote:
Anyone using one of these?

Me! Whatcha wanna know?

It works good!

So I have been reading around the net, compared to the dual channel boards
*in the applications I plan on running* the performance difference is to
slight to even mention. I was mostly concerned with stability and how
finicky it was with ram.

The board will be here in the morning (along with 2 512 meg sticks of DDR400
ram and a 2.6 ECU)

Old May 18th 04, 02:37 PM
Gary at SBC

Not a happy camper!

The board seems fine except that the ATP 9800Pro card I have installed is
very unstable under Win98.

If I install a GF2 it has no problems at all.

Anyone else have this problem under win98? I'm wondering if I have a bum
card or ATI's drivers under win98 just suck.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:09 AM
McGrandpa

Gary at SBC wrote:
Not a happy camper!

The board seems fine except that the ATP 9800Pro card I have
installed is very unstable under Win98.

If I install a GF2 it has no problems at all.

Anyone else have this problem under win98? I'm wondering if I have a
bum card or ATI's drivers under win98 just suck.

Sorry it took me so long to get back in here. Life got
unexpectedly...busy.

My GA-8i848-PL is behaving itself very nicely. I have a Northwood
P4-2.66/533 fsb, 2 x 512m PC3200 (1 gig), using all the USB ports,
disabled the onboard sound and have TB Santa Cruz card, using onboard
Intel Pro LAN.
I was using a PNY FX5900-128, and though it worked good, I wanted to see
the differences between it and the ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128. The 9800
Pro wins \ Period.
I'm using Win XP Pro with this system, sorry I can't help with the
stability thing in 98. Is it 98 or 98SE? It does make a difference.
Now, what Catalyst version were you using? I've heard that the 4.3 set
seems to be the most stable all around and those having problems with
the new 4.5 go back to 4.3 with no problems.

I notice there is no option in the BIOS to enable SMART for the hd's.
Yet the POST screen says SMART capable but disabled. Hm. Oversight on
Gigabytes part I guess.
McG.

Old May 25th 04, 12:53 AM
Gary at SBC

Sorry it took me so long to get back in here. Life got
unexpectedly...busy.

No problem, have the same problem myself.

I'm using Win XP Pro with this system, sorry I can't help with the
stability thing in 98. Is it 98 or 98SE? It does make a difference.

SE, did some testing by loading up XP and the problem pretty much went away
which points to the problem being ATI's Win98/Me driver.

Now, what Catalyst version were you using? I've heard that the 4.3 set
seems to be the most stable all around and those having problems with
the new 4.5 go back to 4.3 with no problems.

The supplied driver set and what ever the latest Me driver from ATI's site.

I would ge ta blue screeen of death just opening the graphics profile icon!

I notice there is no option in the BIOS to enable SMART for the hd's.
Yet the POST screen says SMART capable but disabled. Hm. Oversight on
Gigabytes part I guess.

Try entering the advanced bios screen (function crtl- F5?) when you are in
the bios. You will see the notation at the bottom of the bios when you first
enter. It opens up a whole bunch of advanced options!

Gary