N400 Pro 2 and Vantec Aeroflow

Old May 12th 04, 10:37 PM
fredrickson

Default N400 Pro 2 and Vantec Aeroflow

Holy crap I just got a Vantec Aeroflow for the 3000XP i just got and jesus
christ it wouldnt fit because of that damn capacitor in the corner. I was
desperate so i got a small metal file I had and ground down the corner of
the heatsink and by golly it fits. Before i rounded the corner though it did
scratch the capacitor green outer thing, how damaging is that? Anyway its
running now, although its a bit hot because my case does not have a vent
next to the CPU. With the case off its 52 degrees, which is the same as my
1800XP with Alpha PAL6035. I have some casefan experimentation to do. Here
is a pic.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/r/drinklime/DSCN1156.JPG

Old May 13th 04, 10:21 AM
Tim

Holly Crap to you too...

52c with the cover off the case and idling (?) is a bit high. Definitely
time to get some air circulation and if you don't already, some round cables
etc.

What are the little white flecks? I hope its not aluminium dust. If it is,
give your case a good clean out. If its dandruf then gosh!

I would take a bigger chunk out of the heatsink so there is no chance it
will rip the capacitor out of the mobo if bumped.
Otherwise the little scratch on the capacitors are nothing to worry about.
- Tim

Old May 13th 04, 01:13 PM
fredrickson

Yea I need to get a new case. I have an old Antec KS-188 and there is no
vent fan by the CPU.

Old May 14th 04, 02:08 PM
Jason Ash

"fredrickson" waxed eloquent in
:

Holy crap I just got a Vantec Aeroflow for the 3000XP i just got and
jesus christ it wouldnt fit because of that damn capacitor in the
corner. I was desperate so i got a small metal file I had and ground
down the corner of the heatsink and by golly it fits. Before i rounded
the corner though it did scratch the capacitor green outer thing, how
damaging is that? Anyway its running now, although its a bit hot
because my case does not have a vent next to the CPU. With the case
off its 52 degrees, which is the same as my 1800XP with Alpha PAL6035.
I have some casefan experimentation to do. Here is a pic.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/r/drinklime/DSCN1156.JPG

Had to do something similar myself. Although I took rather more off
the heatsink, used a hacksaw, trimmed about two cooling fins off to just
a bit above the top of the capacitor. If those flecks in the corner of
the heatsink are what I think they are, metal filings from your trimming
the heatsink, I would shut down *NOW*, and clean that heatsink
religously! Just one of those dropping onto the mb traces could raise
havoc!

Jason A.
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
Old May 23rd 04, 07:38 AM
We Live for the One we Die for the One

I just scraped my AeroFlow TOOOOOOO NOISY.

Got a Zalman 7000A-CU now thats SILENCE

Old May 23rd 04, 07:40 AM
We Live for the One we Die for the One

Thinking about getting an Aopen A600 case it has a 120mm fan next to
the cpu more than enough even on 7 volts