AMD weight spec for PSU coolers

Old May 9th 04, 12:18 AM
Mo

Default AMD weight spec for PSU coolers

Hi Folk,

I am trying to get the temp of my XP2600 down from the 50's and am looking
at various fan/cooler units.

I note the recommended weight for the AMD socket is 300gm. Most of the
fan/coolers I have looked at are above that weight.

Can anybody advise. I am currently looking at a Volcano 11.

TIA.

Old May 9th 04, 01:24 AM
CrimsonLiar

One piecs of advice the Volcano coolers are no longer anything special and
as such are over priced.

CrimsonLiar

. au...

Old May 9th 04, 02:09 AM
wayne

That rating is for heat sinks without additional motherboard support that is
why most attach to the MB with 6 tab clip!

A fairly light and effective heat sink is this one

http://www.overclockers.com/articles754/

It is also pretty quite the vertical design can help/hurt in some MB's

Wayne

Old May 9th 04, 03:38 AM
S.Heenan

Mo wrote:
Hi Folk,

I am trying to get the temp of my XP2600 down from the 50's and am
looking at various fan/cooler units.

I note the recommended weight for the AMD socket is 300gm. Most of the
fan/coolers I have looked at are above that weight.

Can anybody advise. I am currently looking at a Volcano 11.

The Vantec AeroFlow (VA4-C7040) is 384g.
The Thermaltake Silent Boost (A1889) is a little heavier.

Both are effective coolers, with the Vantec being a little louder. The
latter is very near silent. Don't worry about weight unless you move your
machine a great deal. The 6 lug clips work very well.

Old May 9th 04, 05:22 AM
Mo

Thanks for the info fellows ... gives me more scope knowing I can go for
heavier units.

I had the Silent Boost on my list but it seems the importer is waiting new
stock in Australia.