8knxp bios

Old August 20th 03, 02:03 AM
Tim

Default 8knxp bios

Thanks,

That is what I have. I do boot off SATA ok, but only if the 2nd disc (IDE)
is plugged into the ITE & it is configured as non RAID (the manual says
'ATA' I think).

However, the thing that doesn't work is if you have an IDE disc in the
standard Primary Channel but want to boot of the SATA disc.

I tried again last night. What a nightmare.

If I reset everything then the Boot Order menu show SATA, ITE, Intel
(something like that). If I disable ITE and set SATA to ATA (IE non RAID),
one has to reboot for the boot device order to change (ITE stays i think)!
When one reboots, the boot order menu now somewhat randomly shows SATA and a
blank line or ITE and a blank line, or ITE.... so thats stuffed - no wonder
it can't find things.

For the OnChip SATA: If SATA is set to Manual and the two interfaces are set
to IDE Primary Master / Slave:

If there is a disc in Pri IDE as master, then if I set the First, Second,
Third boot devices to HDD0, 1, 2 or any combination it doesn't look at the
SATA disc at all - only the Primary IDE - this results in no boot device
found. This seems to be regardless of boot order - which I don't trust
considering it usually has a blank line...

If SATA is set to Manual and the two SATA interfaces are set to Automatic:

Much the same happens.

Anything else I could try apart from a new bios that doesn't exist yet?

The current bios is F5, I have tried that later bios F6K with the options
above, but the ITE completely disappears off the mobo and since I still
can't get it to boot off a SATA with a Pri IDE present and F6K is beta, I am
still using F5........... 'cos I still have to use the second disc drive.

Thats the story, well almost. In between times, I find I have to reset the
cmos as the bios has got its own data in such a twist that replacing
everything and re-enabling the ITE results in an ITE that doesn't work - no
scan requies reset of cmos.

This indicates to me that the bios is not managing its own data correctly -
that it is progressively getting more corrupt with each change. I have never
had to clear cmos before this mobo (bios I would prefer to say).

OS is XP with all patches.

- Tim

"gilgamesh" wrote in message
You have to disable the raid for the Intel controller in the bios and have
your SATA disk plugged into that.
The disk will "appear" as one of the IDE disks and you can choose to have

it
as the master to boot off.

"Tim" wrote in message

Hi,

Has anyone figured out how to boot off a single non-raid sata drive with

an
ide drive plugged into either of the standard IDE connectors? IE without
using the ITE RAID controller?

Any news on an official bios update?
Are gigabyte always this slow in fixing things?

The 6fe bios floating around kills the ITE RAID on my system completely.

- Tim