Long (2 min. beep) during normal startup (GA-8IGX)

Old August 6th 03, 09:52 PM
UsualNoise

Default Long (2 min. beep) during normal startup (GA-8IGX)

Wondering if this is something to worry about: if I restart my computer
after having been powered down for a while (an hour or so) it starts up
with a continuous beep - same tone as the POST beep (or at least pretty
close), but it continues right through startup, loading WinXP, and stops
after about 2 minutes. If I restart from Windows or just power on
within a few minutes of powering down this does not happen.

I've got a custom built PC with a Gigabyte GA-8IGX Mboard, Intel P4 2.4
GHz 533 MHz FSB processor, 512 MB of DDR PC2100 memory, 400W power
supply, and an AIW Radeon 8500 DV video card.

I read that this could be memory-related, but the startup RAM check goes
OK and I haven't been able to successfully run any other RAM-checking
utilities yet. Also strange is the fact that nothing is adversely
affected in day-to-day operations on this computer as far as I can tell.

Nothing has changed on my system for a long while, and the only other
problem I know of is a hard drive with some bad sectors on it (non-
system, though) that I can periodically hear clicking as if it's
powering off and back on (very rarely - once a day, if that).

I'd welcome any ideas - I wonder if the fact that it only happens after
being powered down for a while means that it has something to do with a
drained battery somewhere (??) although I can't find anything like that
in the documentation for the GA-8IGX motherboard.

--
UsualNoise
Old August 6th 03, 11:50 PM
Frank

UsualNoise wrote:
| Wondering if this is something to worry about: if I restart my
| computer after having been powered down for a while (an hour or so)
| it starts up with a continuous beep - same tone as the POST beep (or
| at least pretty close), but it continues right through startup,
| Windows or just power on within a few minutes of powering down this
| does not happen.
|
| I've got a custom built PC with a Gigabyte GA-8IGX Mboard, Intel P4
| 2.4 GHz 533 MHz FSB processor, 512 MB of DDR PC2100 memory, 400W power
| supply, and an AIW Radeon 8500 DV video card.
|
| I read that this could be memory-related, but the startup RAM check
| goes OK and I haven't been able to successfully run any other
| RAM-checking utilities yet. Also strange is the fact that nothing is
| adversely affected in day-to-day operations on this computer as far
| as I can tell.
|
| Nothing has changed on my system for a long while, and the only other
| problem I know of is a hard drive with some bad sectors on it (non-
| system, though) that I can periodically hear clicking as if it's
| powering off and back on (very rarely - once a day, if that).
|
| I'd welcome any ideas - I wonder if the fact that it only happens
| after being powered down for a while means that it has something to
| do with a drained battery somewhere (??) although I can't find
| anything like that in the documentation for the GA-8IGX moth

_INDICATIONS_ of power supply problems.

--
Tampa Bay