PE667 Ultra2 SATA Boot Order Problem

Old July 29th 03, 02:33 PM
Pete

Default PE667 Ultra2 SATA Boot Order Problem

Hi,

I have just bought a 120GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA drive. I temporarily
disconnected my old IDE drive, and installed XP on the new one. I then
rearranged the existing drives to the following configuration:

IDE1 Master - DVD ROM Drive
IDE2 Master - CD Writer
IDE3 Master - Seagate Barracuda IV (Old WIN2K system disk)
SATA1 - New Seagate with WIN XP

The problem is that no matter how I set the BIOS (just upgraded to F3), I
cannot get the system to boot to XP on the SATA drive unless I disconnect
the WIN2K IDE drive or disable the Promise Controller.

I would like to make my SATA disk my C: drive and reformat my old IDE as D:
for video editing.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thanks,
Pete.

Old July 31st 03, 12:47 AM
Sir ScissorClaw

"Pete" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have just bought a 120GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA drive. I temporarily
disconnected my old IDE drive, and installed XP on the new one. I then
rearranged the existing drives to the following configuration:

IDE1 Master - DVD ROM Drive
IDE2 Master - CD Writer
IDE3 Master - Seagate Barracuda IV (Old WIN2K system disk)
SATA1 - New Seagate with WIN XP

The problem is that no matter how I set the BIOS (just upgraded to F3), I
cannot get the system to boot to XP on the SATA drive unless I disconnect
the WIN2K IDE drive or disable the Promise Controller.

I would like to make my SATA disk my C: drive and reformat my old IDE as D:
for video editing.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thanks,
Pete.

I believe the problem is that that IDE drive you want to format
still is seen by the mobo/OS with having an active (Boot) partition.
When you have two active partitions, the computer just gets all
fritzed out. If you have fdisk you can go in and set the drive or
partition to not active. I haven't done this in awhile so I might be
wrong with my diagnosis. I hope someone can second my opinion, or not.
Also while you are in fdisk you can you can repartition the drive and
I beleive it will allow you to reformat it in windows "Disk
Management" tool.
Another option, as long as your SATA drive is already designated as
the "c" drive, here's what I would do rather than the fdisk way. I
have done this myself, so I know THIS works. Attach the IDE drive by
itself and start the windows install, when it gets to the point where
it asks weather you want to format, just reformat the whole drive.
After that is done, you can abort the install and you will be left
with a blank, formatted, non-active drive just waiting to be renamed
as the "d" drive after you rehook up the SATA drive, reboot and go
into the "Disk Management" tool.