Anyone still use CRT monitors?

Old September 24th 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
mm

Default Anyone still use CRT monitors?

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:11:15 +0200, Dirk Weber
wrote:

-- schreef:

I remember that a few years ago, CRT monitors were still used by some
(photographers?) for color matching, etc. Is there still anyone who
uses them?

I ask cause I'm getting rid of a -relatively- large (and heavy) Nanao
monitor (in NYC), and thought that maybe someone would have a use for
it.

Are you new to NYC? Maybe it's changed or there are more rules in
Manhattan but I lived in Brooklyn for 12 years, and I noticed that
people put good stuff out on the street a couple days before the trash
was collected, to give people time to see it and take it.

My second year, I didn't have much of a tv, but I saw one just inside
the sidewalk of the apartment building next door to mine. I had
never gotten something from the trash iirc, and it was fairly far from
the street so I wasn't sure if it was being given away. (Most of
Brookyn has grass between the street and the sidewalk, and it was on
the grass even farther from the street.) I looked out the window of
my apartment a dozen times in the next 6 hours and when it was finally
gone, I concluded that it *was* being thrown away and I coudl have
takes in.

A year after I got to NY, when I had a trailer from bringing my stuff
from chicago, I called up bulk trash and got their scheduled for the
east side. IIIR, it was Monday for the 50's, Tuesday for the 60's,
Wed. the 70's, Thursday the 80's, something like that. Since tomorrow
was Tuesday, I went up and down the east 60's with my car and trailer
looking for good trash. I'm not the only one who does that. There
are articles in the paper every few years. But I didn't get much. A
truly cheap dresser, painted black, in v. good condition, and a sofa
bad in bad condition, but I still used it for years (Not to sleep on.
In the living room), until I got a better one.

My favorite story was when either American Youth Hostels or
Transportation Alternatives had an all=night bike ride around Brooklyn
(They had done one arond Manhattan earlier). It started at midnight,
or more likely 2am, and we rode until dawn, ending up at Riis Park. No
one wanted to go swimming for some reason, and we split up to ride
home. I came across one of those little houses near the water, and
there was a 9" tv sitting on top of the trash, which was still inside
their fence. It was put out early so someone would take it. So I'm
trying to figure out how to get it on my bicycle, with only the light
frame luggage rack. A couple minutes after I got there the lady of
the house came out with twine for me to tie it on with, and that's
what I did and I made it all the way up to the north side of Brooklyn,
Clinton Hill, without trouble. I think I had that tv until a year
ago, didn't use it much because it was only 9 inches, and it broke
when I wasn't looking.

Thanks for the offer, but NYC is a bit too far just to go there to get a
used crt ;-)

Yes, my wife and me we still use crts (19 inch). These things never seem to
brake, but when that happens will surely replace them with lcds. These crts
are not too bad, but they need a lot of space on the desk. And they are
quite heavy.

Definitely. I use my desk drawer for the keyboard, and now there are
loads of other things on it so I can't even shut it, so the last time
I replaced a monitor, I had to outstretch my arms and it was soooo
heavy. As far as being big, I can't reach the back of my desk anyhow.
It's against the wall and it's 30 inches to the back I think, so I
might as well fill it with monitor.

My second monitor, when I needed a better one about 15 years ago, was
an NEC Mulitsync, which I found in the woods near the road, in the
snow, with some of the case broken, around the air vents, when someone
threw it out of the car into the woods. But after it dried, it worked
fine for at least 5 or 7 years, probably more.

When I had it, I called NEC for some help, and even though I
eventually told the woman on the phone that I had found the thing in
the woods, she was still happy to help me. (It was just one question
I think, about frequencies maybe, since there isn't much I can do with
a monitor.)

It finally failed, so I bought another NEC Mulit-sync at a hamfest. I
was sorry I couldn't buy a new one, she was so nice.

Now if I have used one of my spare monitors and need another spare, I
wait until the end of hamfest when sometimes people give them away for
free. One guy was happy I took one and practically begged me to take
his other, because they are heavy to cart home.

I finally moved up to 17 inches, and I have a 21" monitor downstairs
but I have to wait until I get back in shape, or at least lose weight
and am less clumsy, before I try to bring it upstairs.

With my first pc I could place the monitor on the pc case, better do not try
that with a 19 inch crt.

I liked it on the pc. Saved fron space on the desk, which I need more
of.

What would make me want another monitor is that a few pages are wider
than they were. But if they made CRTs wider than tall, I'd be happy
with that. It hasnt' bothered me yet and by the time it does, there
will probably be used wide lcd montors.

No problem with a lcd, we had that in the office.

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

Old October 30th 10, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TeoZ

wrote:

-- schreef:

[...]

Dirk- Hide quoted text -

I still have quite a few in use on older systems. LCDs are great for
use at their native resolutions but start looking weird if you want to
play a DOS game or older Windows game at lower resolutions.

Currently I only have 2 LCD monitors, my main machine LCD is a
Samsung Syncmaster 943, and I have a test system LCD BENQ FP731. You
can tell a big difference in response time, color depth, and black
levels between the two models. It took a long time for LCDs to be as
good as a cheap CRT was.