Geforce 8800 GT - tv-out jitter

Old September 19th 08, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
joe

Default Geforce 8800 GT - tv-out jitter

I have problem watching movies on TV, over my VGA tv-out. Video
playback is not smooth as it should be. It is best seen when cam moves
left or right. It looks like small water wave is passing over screen.
Picture quality is good.

I have dual boot with XP & Vista and have the same problem on both
operating systems. VGA is 8800GT with latest drivers. TV is CRT 100 Hz.
DVD player, VHS player and DVB-S work as they should. Other PC with ATI
card works fine on that TV.

Does anyone have idea what could be the problem?
Old September 19th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

joe wrote:
I have problem watching movies on TV, over my VGA tv-out. Video
playback is not smooth as it should be. It is best seen when cam moves
left or right. It looks like small water wave is passing over screen.
Picture quality is good.

I have dual boot with XP & Vista and have the same problem on both
operating systems. VGA is 8800GT with latest drivers. TV is CRT 100 Hz.
DVD player, VHS player and DVB-S work as they should. Other PC with ATI
card works fine on that TV.

Does anyone have idea what could be the problem?

Tearing like that is usually noticable on LCD's due to their "hold type"
display nature and horizontal movement. But on a CRT I find it odd.
I'm not sure what connection you're actually using as TV-out generally
indicates video component or s-video/composite.

VGA output shouldn't look any different then on a computer display
(other than blurry). Try VideoLan to make sure it's not some Directshow
or decoder weirdness. Then if that fails try something like Reclock
(http://reclock.free.fr/) to sync your frame rates up.

It could be your 8800GT manufacturer used a weird TV-encoder chip too or
had bad shielding.
Old September 20th 08, 10:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
joe

Bill wrote:

In article ,
says...
I have problem watching movies on TV, over my VGA tv-out. Video
playback is not smooth as it should be. It is best seen when cam
moves left or right. It looks like small water wave is passing over
screen. Picture quality is good.

I have dual boot with XP & Vista and have the same problem on both
operating systems. VGA is 8800GT with latest drivers. TV is CRT 100
Hz. DVD player, VHS player and DVB-S work as they should. Other PC
with ATI card works fine on that TV.

Does anyone have idea what could be the problem?

It's a shame you didn't mention the name of the manufacturer and the
model for your video card so somebody replying to your question could
look up the specifics for that card. Tha same goes for the rest of
the equipment you mentioned.

8800GT is a chip made by nVidia. NVidia doesn't make video cards.
You might look into a VGA cable with better shielding. That's just a
wild guess based on the very little information provided.

Sorry, i have this card:
XPERTVISION GF8800GT, PCIe x16, 512 MB, DDR3, 256-bit, GPU 600 MHz, RAM
1800 MHz, 2x DVI-I, S-Video, 2560x1600, NE/8800T+T352

TV is:
Quadro CTV-72F20 29", 100Hz, flat.
http://www.quadro.tv/products.php?id=38

I use RCA cable and as i said this cable and TV work good with other pc
that has ATI card. I think it is rather software than hardware problem.
It is hard to describe problem well. It looks like im watching video
over remote desktop on some other PC, over fast connection. Like screen
doesnt refresh fast enough when camera moves. PC is fast enought (3.2
GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, 7200 sata2 hdd).
Old September 21st 08, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

joe wrote:

Sorry, i have this card:
XPERTVISION GF8800GT, PCIe x16, 512 MB, DDR3, 256-bit, GPU 600 MHz, RAM
1800 MHz, 2x DVI-I, S-Video, 2560x1600, NE/8800T+T352

TV is:
Quadro CTV-72F20 29", 100Hz, flat.
http://www.quadro.tv/products.php?id=38

I use RCA cable and as i said this cable and TV work good with other pc
that has ATI card. I think it is rather software than hardware problem.
It is hard to describe problem well. It looks like im watching video
over remote desktop on some other PC, over fast connection. Like screen
doesnt refresh fast enough when camera moves. PC is fast enought (3.2
GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, 7200 sata2 hdd).

What exactly does the "100Hz" mean ? I would have
thought 50Hz or 60Hz would have done the job.

I didn't see a manual on the quadro site, and I cannot
look it up.

I understand some display devices do interpolation and
frame rate doubling, for smoother video. Example press
release here.

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?i...%E2%84%91=true

If the TV has an OSD (on screen display), I'd browse through
there, and see what options it has.

Paul
Old September 21st 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Paul' wrote, in part:
What exactly does the "100Hz" mean ? I would have
thought 50Hz or 60Hz would have done the job.

_____

According to the webpage cited by the original poster
TV is:
Quadro CTV-72F20 29", 100Hz, flat.
http://www.quadro.tv/products.php?id=38

it's a SECAM/PAL CRT TV (it weighs 56 Kg); 100 Hz is double scanning to
reduce PAL/SECAM flicker at 25 frames per second. Hmm, the original poster
didn't mention anything about PAL/SECAM and 50 FPS, wonder if that has
anything to do with the problem. Or are there still secrets to be revealed?

Phil Weldon

"Paul" wrote in message ...
joe wrote:

[...]

GeForce 8800 GTX - DirectX 10 Olaf Strehlow Nvidia Videocards 2 October 21st 07 08:33 PM
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS Neoren General 0 October 15th 07 01:58 AM
geforce 8800 go - when/are we likely to see it? [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 2 November 25th 06 03:32 PM
G80 ~ GeForce 8800 pictures AirRaid Ati Videocards 0 September 29th 06 07:11 PM