Unreal and 7900 GTX

Old December 8th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rich

Default Unreal and 7900 GTX

Hi

Does anyone else have any problems running the new unreal on a 7900
GTX card? I brought a new card about 3 months ago - its great in all
my other games but on unreal I get the odd judder when in the middle
of a firefight.

When moving around the map normally I get a nice smooth play.

I'm thinking that maybe its a problem with the CPU - dual AMD 64 3800
- not the fastest in the world but still good for windows.

Any thoughts?

I'm stuck between getting a 8800GT in a few months or a new quad core
intel 2 - 6600 system and dropping the 7900 GTX into that instead.

Thanks

Rich
Old December 9th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

Does anyone else have any problems running the new unreal on a 7900
GTX card? I brought a new card about 3 months ago - its great in all
my other games but on unreal I get the odd judder

What Unreal game are you referring to? The original Unreal, or one of
the various UTournaments ? There are patches for U1 to make it look and
perform great on today's machines.

rms

Old December 9th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"rms" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone else have any problems running the new unreal on a 7900
GTX card? I brought a new card about 3 months ago - its great in all
my other games but on unreal I get the odd judder

What Unreal game are you referring to? The original Unreal, or one of
the various UTournaments ? There are patches for U1 to make it look and
perform great on today's machines.

One assumes when he says the "new Unreal" he's talking about UT 2007. A
7900GTX should be fine for UT2007 at reasonable eye candy levels and
moderate resolutions. You're likely going to run into framerate issues if
you're running 1600x1200. All these newer games like UT2007 are counting on
you having a hi-perf dual core. This makes just as big a difference as the
graphics card.

Old December 10th 07, 10:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Moo[_2_]

rms wrote:
Does anyone else have any problems running the new unreal on a 7900
GTX card? I brought a new card about 3 months ago - its great in all
my other games but on unreal I get the odd judder

What Unreal game are you referring to? The original Unreal, or one of
the various UTournaments ? There are patches for U1 to make it look and
perform great on today's machines.

rms

Got any links for those U1 patches?

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com
Old December 10th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

Got any links for those U1 patches?

http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

That's the main one, which file you get depends on what version of the
game you have (Unreal Gold, etc). Read the documentation file carefully.
Also, http://celticwarriors.net/ has the S3TC hi-res textures for download
if you don't have UT1 addon cd, and
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ has another updated UT opengl
driver.

Various sites have the Unreal 'bonus packs' for download, Singleplayer
campaigns (I've played a couple of these, they are really well done, like
Xidia Gold (get the post-release patch)) are at
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/reviews.html

There's alot of stuff out there for Unreal/UT!

rms

Old December 10th 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Folk

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:20:21 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

All these newer games like UT2007 are counting on
you having a hi-perf dual core. This makes just as big a difference as the
graphics card.

Especially with the Unreal engine. It's always loved the processor.

Unreal Tournament Derek Nvidia Videocards 9 November 13th 05 11:30 PM
UnReal FYI measekite Printers 2 April 10th 05 09:24 AM
Problems w/ GeForce FX 5900 XT and Unreal 1 (Unreal Gold) Saipher General Hardware 0 August 26th 04 03:22 AM
The next Unreal engine... John Nvidia Videocards 42 February 29th 04 04:44 PM
The next Unreal engine... John Ati Videocards 41 February 29th 04 07:05 AM