8500 GT Choppy H.264 Question

Old November 25th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
I@don'twantspam.com

Default 8500 GT Choppy H.264 Question

I have a Gateway computer with the following specs:
Vista Home Premium
Core 2 Duo 6300
4 gigs ram
8500gt 512 meg video card
k-lite standard codec pack
Hanns G 28" monitor 1900x1200 resolution.

When I try to play hi def, it pegs both my processors at 100% and studders
the sound and video to the point that I can't watch it. I know that this
card has hardware decoding for H.264 but I can't find a way to enable it or
even see if it is enabled. I'm running the latest drivers from nvidia's web
site. I can't seem to get this resolved. Any help would really be
appreciated. This pc should have plenty of horsepower to play whatever I
want on it.

Thanks,
Neil
Old November 25th 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sharanga Dayananda

Codec packs are really bad and should be avoided.

If you want H.264 acceleration you need Power DVD 7.3 Ultra ( not the normal
PowerDVD for DVD playback).

However this has issues with H.264 clips encoded with the x.264 encoder in
Matroska containers. It will playback HD-DVD and Blu-Ray H.264 material
perfectly though.

Old November 26th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

That CPU and video card model are NOT high powered top end units. You do
NOT have "plenty of horsepower to play whatever I want." Those are midrange
units, so turn down the video effects on games.

--
--DaveW

Old November 27th 07, 09:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
I@don'twantspam.com

I wrote this regarding hi def playback. I'm NOT a gamer. I have another
computer (being used as a media center)that has the same processor and intel
on board graphics that plays 1080p with no problem. I'm trying to simply
play video. This computer should be hi-end enough for that.
Old November 28th 07, 07:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

As Paul indicated, hardware H.264 decoding isn't automatic, nor is it free.
What nVidia (and ATi) had done is provide the APIs to player app vendors
like Cyberlink, Intervideo, and Nero.

Download CoreAVC he (http://mirror.edskes.net/ , about half-way down the
page). It's a very fast software H.264 decoder, comparable to hardware
decoders.

wrote in message
[...]

How to get rid of choppy video? willem Webcams 0 June 24th 05 06:02 AM
AIW-8500-DV driver question [email protected] Ati Videocards 2 March 24th 05 05:17 AM
Radeon AIW 8500 -> 9800 Install Question Richard Munde Ati Videocards 3 January 25th 04 07:53 PM
choppy sound Andrew Asus Motherboards 1 January 14th 04 09:38 PM
Batteries in Inspiron 8500 question John Noory Dell Computers 1 July 5th 03 04:04 PM