Vista and latest NDVIDIA driver failure!!!

Old October 24th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Default Vista and latest NDVIDIA driver failure!!!

Guts, Horror, Hair, Vomit, Death!!!! I don't know how to express my FURY!

Background:
Motherboard : P5N-e SLI
CPU : Intel core2 duo E6600
Video card : Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB Gddr3
RAM : 3 Gig 2x1 Gig Corsair
2x512K Corsair
2x SATA 2 320 Gig Western digital HDs
iCute Case with heaps of fans all over the place.

I am NOT OVERCLOCKING!

Whenever I boot the machine in SAFE mode, or have deleted the NVIDIA
drivers using the Device Manager, the PC boots.
When I install the NVIDIA drivers (163.69 or 162.22) I get problems.
What happens is:
The screen shows the BIOS screen, then flashes into Windows. I see the
green upright bars parading left to right. The screen then blanks, the
bling noise sounds (for the startup of Vista) but the screen is blank
(not even receiving a signal).

Why am I so furious!
This behavior originally happened ages ago. It appeared to be early
NVIDIA drivers. I was able to get NVIDIA 163.69 working happily. This is
great. New PC, should run like a bought one!!!

The latest issue, after 2 major other issues with the video card, or
software, is that the screen will not display anything.

The screen displays the BIOS boot screen and the Windows moving green
bars appear, but as soon as it actually boots into Windows (Vista Home
Premium) the screen looses signal.

What have I tried to do?

PC will boot OK into Windows if the NVIDIA driver for the GeForce
8800GTS is uninstalled. i.e. VGA driver.

I had this problem a week ago, so I sent the PC back to the vendor. They
were able to get the vidio driver working.

Everything was working, my wife shut down the machine one night. I came
in, in the morning, noticed that the blue lights inside the PC were
still on, so I pressed the power button for 4 seconds to turn off the
PC. When restated the screen would shut off on load of Windows Vista
(Home Premium). Arrgh!

I have tried reinstalling the correct video driver (163.69) without
success. Finally I tried to recover from a prior (working) recover
point. It appeared to be successful, however the screen remained black,
with no signa

What could be the problem?
Old October 24th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill

In article ,
says...
[...]

A 'Live' cd/dvd is a cd/dvd that will boot a live/usable operating
system on a pc without using a hard drive. What I would do is get a
'Live' cd/dvd and boot the pc. If your problem is still there it's a
hardware problem. If it isn't it's a software problem.

Report back when you've figured out whether it's a hardware problem
or a software problem. Consider upgrading to Windows XP Pro.

Bill

Old October 25th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Aha! Brilliant idea! Thanks very much!
Earlier in the week, when the PC was working OK, I had tried out the
Ubuntu 7.10 live CD. It worked OK.
Now this morning I tried again, and it would only come up in reduced
graphics mode!
It seems I must have been having an intermittent hardware error, that
now has become "hard". I'm taking this card back to the shop for
warranty replacement!

Thank you again! As you may have noticed from the earlier post, I was
about to tear my hair out.
Old October 25th 07, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill

In article ,
says...
Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Tsk, Tsk. Nature will do that for you soon enough. I wouldn't rule
out a power supply problem just yet.

Bill
Old October 26th 07, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...
Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

The plot thickens! I took the PC back to the shop. They swapped the
video card for some generic card from ATi. I came home, cranked it up,
and... exactly the same! As soon as the PC wants to go to 1680x1050
resolution, it sends "no signal" to the monitor.
I have been a very good customer to the PC shop, so he changed the
motherboard to an upmarket Gigabyte board (charging me the difference
between the old board and the new - I'm OK with that)

I got it home about 30 minutes ago. Plugged it in, cranked it up...
still the same. Man! What is it, then!

OK! One of the other PC's in the house has Dell 1740FTP monitor. I
swapped that over, restarted the PC, and it boots OK. Hang on... it
doesn't use the Aero eye candy. I've got the screen running at its
native resolution (1280x1024 - non widescreen).
I then tried the widescreen monitor on the older XP machine... works fine!

So I'm at a loss again. You said in the previous post it might be a
power supply. The PC has a Themaltake TR2 - 550W power supply. What do
you think???
Old October 26th 07, 11:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill

In article ,
says...
snip

[...]

While I think Thermaltake is one of the better power supplies on the
market, it could still be failing power supply. I see that that P/S
uses modular cabling. Make sure the cables on the P/S side are firmly
seated and that there aren't any poor connections due to pushed back
pins. If that doesn't help, see if you can borrow another P/S from
somewhere and try it.

Bill
Old October 28th 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Bill wrote:
[...]

Hmmm! I spent today reloading everything onto the PC. Yes I did make
sure the power connectors were seated correctly onto the motherboard.
I reformatted the primary hard drive, reloaded Vista, motherboard
drivers and NVIDIA 163.69 drivers. Everything seems to be working correctly.
Thanks for your help, but it seems I will have to wait for the problem
to re-occur (if ever).
cheers
Gordon
Old October 28th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill

In article ,
says...
Bill wrote:
[...]

Not just the motherboard side. There are connectors on the power
supply side of the cables too. Don't forget to look for pushed back
pins.

Old October 28th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Bill' wrote:
| Not just the motherboard side. There are connectors on the power
| supply side of the cables too. Don't forget to look for pushed back
| pins
_____

Pushed-back-pins - that's a good check to suggest - I've never had a power
supply fail, but pushed back connector terminals will sneak up and bite you,
especially if you jumped to the conclusion that the problem is power supply
failure B^)

Though I do think that the connectors supplied with modular power supplies
are much better than the older Molex items.

Phil Weldon

"Bill" wrote in message
| In article ,
| says...