Win98SE AM2 mATX board?

Old July 14th 07, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

Default Win98SE AM2 mATX board?

Don't laugh! The only way I can install either win2k or winxp (from
the "upgrade" CD's I have) is from an existing win98 or winnt. I
don't have winnt, but, I do have win98, so, in order to install winxp
(or win2k) I first install a blank win98 and the pop in my "upgrade"
CD.

But the MSI K9NBPM2-FID will not allow the windows 98 CD to complete
the installation (hangs with a variety of error messages). MSI says
there is NO SUPPORT for windows 98 for that motherbaord. Blast!

I am hoping to at least salvage my mATX case and ram and CPU, so, all
I need to change out is this mboard for one that will at least allow a
win98se installation to proceed to completion (without installing any
optional drivers).

How about the ASUS M2NPV-VM *Geforce 6150)? I asked ASUS but they
haven't responded.

If anyone has installed wi98 (even barebones) on any of the current
mATX boards (with an advanced video - DVI or HDMI), please advise.

Old July 14th 07, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:49:13 -0700, surface9 wrote:

[...]

IIRC all the upgrade needs to see is the W98 OS. So don't you have a
floppy with the OS on it? if not, you can probably create one booting from
the W98 to W98 dos. I don't recall the exact options given on boot. You
might be able to sys the OS to the HDD from the cd too. I haven't used
windows in a number of years.

Old July 14th 07, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
oldwolf[_2_]

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

As far as I remember, the XP Install will ask for the 98 CD, so just swap
them over and whaen its finished looking at 98, swap them back again, and
keep going. Mind you its been a couple of years or so since I last used 98,
or upgraded for that matter.

Old July 14th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.htmlUsenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv

As far as I remember, the XP Install will ask for the 98 CD, so just swap
them over and whaen its finished looking at 98, swap them back again, and
keep going. Mind you its been a couple of years or so since I last used 98,
or upgraded for that matter.- Hide quoted text -

Could it be that none of the current mATX boards can run on windows
98SE? What a bumer!

Old July 14th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
SteveSch

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:49:13 -0700, surface9 wrote:

Don't laugh! The only way I can install either win2k or winxp (from the
"upgrade" CD's I have) is from an existing win98 or winnt. I don't have

You could always put the drive in a different computer and do a Win98
install then move the drive back.

Steve

Old July 15th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
surface9

On Jul 14, 3:36 pm, SteveSch wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:49:13 -0700, surface9 wrote:
Don't laugh! The only way I can install either win2k or winxp (from the
"upgrade" CD's I have) is from an existing win98 or winnt. I don't have

You could always put the drive in a different computer and do a Win98
install then move the drive back.

Steve

As it turns out, I was very forgetful. In order to install my version
of win2000, I need 4 win2k startup floppies, and, since I had copied
my win2k cd onto a h/d, I was able to recreate the floppies and the
CD, and the, after installing a floppy, I was able to finally install
win2000. whew I did try first just taking a plain vanilla win98se
h/d from another PC and booting with it on my new PC, but, it wouldn't
work (unable to allocate memory), and the folks at MSI said it was
because the chipset for this mboard do not support windows 98 se.

All is well that ends well.

mATX vs ATX gigs General 1 May 28th 07 11:16 PM
35W vs. 70W proc. in mATX? tom Homebuilt PC's 5 September 18th 06 06:44 AM
MATX MB Recommendation etienno Asus Motherboards 1 August 13th 06 01:33 AM
mATX case advice/help Julian Norman Homebuilt PC's 12 July 11th 04 09:56 PM
win98SE which 'newer' board works for you? lucky Asus Motherboards 28 January 2nd 04 07:11 PM