Resolution FX5200

Old May 14th 07, 11:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seal20

Default Resolution FX5200

Hi,

Is anybody knows if the Geforce "FX5200 Point of Wiev" (128 MB DDR) supports
resolution at 1680*1050 ?

(I can do 1600*1200 and 1600*1000 under KDE, but I have no choice for
1680*1050)

Thks,

Old May 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seal20

BigJim wrote:

thank you for your answer BigJim

sometimes it depends on your monitor

I got a 22 wide screen (Fujitsu-Siemens)

nothing about kde ?

Old May 16th 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter van der Goes

"Seal20" wrote in message
BigJim wrote:

thank you for your answer BigJim

sometimes it depends on your monitor

I got a 22 wide screen (Fujitsu-Siemens)

nothing about kde ?

Go to the manufacturer's web site and download the "driver" for your monitor
if it didn't come on a CD with the monitor. Actually, it's just a text file
that defines the resolution(s) for the monitor. It allows your video card to
set itself to the ideal resolution for your monitor because your display
drivers will read the monitor driver when you start up. It sounds like you
have a 22" wide screen display. I have a Viewsonic that uses 1680 x 1050,
and installing the monitor driver worked for me.

Old May 16th 07, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Seal20 wrote:
BigJim wrote:

thank you for your answer BigJim

sometimes it depends on your monitor

I got a 22 wide screen (Fujitsu-Siemens)

nothing about kde ?

While Googling for this, I did see mention of
a driver bug, where the driver mistakenly
checks the resolution and decides 1680 x 1050
is too much. Have you checked any logs, to
see if there are any error messages ? And
then Googled on the error message ? If the
card can do 1600 x 1200, that is more pixels
than 1680 x 1050. And with the mode lines and
all, Linux should be able to do just about
anything, as long as it remains within the bounds
set by the monitor.

So you'll need to trace down what driver you are
using for the hardware, and whether that is the
source of the issue. The last time I was fooling
around with Linux, it took me the better part of
a day, to read up on changing drivers, downloading
some package from Nvidia etc. But the thing worked,
and I got working OpenGL acceleration for my efforts.
(So the glxgears program ran at the proper rate.)

Paul
Old May 18th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seal20

Peter van der Goes wrote:

Go to the manufacturer's web site and download the "driver" for your
monitor
if it didn't come on a CD with the monitor. Actually, it's just a text
file that defines the resolution(s) for the monitor. It allows your video
card to set itself to the ideal resolution for your monitor because your
display drivers will read the monitor driver when you start up. It sounds
like you
have a 22" wide screen display. I have a Viewsonic that uses 1680 x 1050,
and installing the monitor driver worked for me.

Thank you Paul & Peter for your answers, I'll do my best to resolve it.

Reagards,
S.

http://www.newchumpchange.com
Old May 18th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seal20

Paul wrote:

Have you checked any logs, to
see if there are any error messages ?

Thank you for your answer Paul,
heuuu .... well, I don't really know where I can check it.
any idea ? (I'm using mandrivva 2007 free edition)
Old May 18th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Seal20 wrote:
Paul wrote:

Have you checked any logs, to
see if there are any error messages ?

Thank you for your answer Paul,
heuuu .... well, I don't really know where I can check it.
any idea ? (I'm using mandrivva 2007 free edition)

Here is a sample thread. I don't know if your environment
is the same as these guys are using. The bug is
apparently that the particular resolution is rejected,
even though 1600x1200 is actually more pixels, and it
works.

From that thread, they generated a log from startX, which
is starting Xwindows. They got:

"Mode is rejected: Mode (1680 x 1050) is too large for DFP"

HTH,
Paul