8800 gts PCI-e power connector

Old May 8th 07, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
citizen513

Default 8800 gts PCI-e power connector

Question:

I am planning to buy an 8800 gts,
but my PSU doesn't have an extra PCIE power connector.

The card (XFX) doesn't provide one in the bundle.

I can buy a molex adapter but there are a few variants,
some have only 3 wires connected to the plug, others have
two molex connectors flowing into one PCI-E.

Which one is right?

Can I damage the card if I connect either of those,
(PCI-E connector is identical on both versions)

Thanks.

Old May 8th 07, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

citizen513 wrote:
Question:

I am planning to buy an 8800 gts,
but my PSU doesn't have an extra PCIE power connector.

The card (XFX) doesn't provide one in the bundle.

I can buy a molex adapter but there are a few variants,
some have only 3 wires connected to the plug, others have
two molex connectors flowing into one PCI-E.

Which one is right?

Can I damage the card if I connect either of those,
(PCI-E connector is identical on both versions)

Thanks.

Your first concern, would be whether the power supply
has enough amps on +12V, to power everything.

The 2x3 PCI Express connector here, is used to carry about 6 amps,
in round numbers. Some more current also flows through the PCI
Express slot connector pins (roughly 3.5A).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...gts-640_6.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...00gts_full.gif

Even one pin on the PCI Express 2x3 connector can carry six amps.
AFAIK, the PCI Express 2x3 is from the same family as the main
power connector (either 20 or 24 pin), and uses the same kind of
pins.

If I was purchasing an adapter for myself, I would use the
one with two Molex connectors. That gives you the equivalent of
two of three 12V pins. Which should be enough to do the job, and
do it safely from the connector's perspective.

But check the label on your PSU first. If your supply is some
old 12V @ 15A supply, then two thirds of it will be taken up
by the video card, leaving little for the rest. There are a
few old supplies that are a pleasant exception (like one that
gives 26A), but there is a lot more junk out there.

Paul
Old May 8th 07, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
citizen513

Paul

Thanks Paul.

BFG 8800 GTS OC 320mb versus BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb Jethro Nvidia Videocards 4 March 21st 07 02:24 PM
Power supply for GeForce 8800 GTX Access General 3 December 19th 06 12:11 AM
Bad Axe PCI-e Power Connector Fidelis K Intel 1 October 31st 06 06:03 AM
Old M/B and new Power Supply problems with 12V power connector [email protected] Gateway Computers 2 October 10th 05 08:28 PM
System will not power on when AiW Radeon is attached to power connector... ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 8 November 18th 03 11:46 AM