XFX 6800XT Alarm

Old July 28th 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default XFX 6800XT Alarm

Hello,

I haven't research this problem indepth yet but I thought I would see
if anyone else has encountered this. I just got a new XFX 6800XT AGP
and when I power down the system the alarm on the video card goes off.
It is a low quiet tone but it is very obvious. When I power the system
up the alarm goes away. Everything about the card seems to be in
working correctly. Any suggestions or tips other than: keep the system
on or turn power off at the power supply.

Thanks for your help.

Old July 28th 06, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KenP

Sounds like there is still some power getting to the card, if that is
where the tone generator is. Try the switch at the back of the
computer to see if that eliminates the problem. If it does you may find
a bios setting to do a full turn-off. This is often associated with
things like keyboard power up.
Old July 28th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
AngusBull

Interesting thought I will check the keyboard power-up option but I am
pretty sure its not enabled. The sound does go away when I hit the
switch on the power supply. I may be a little out of it but when did
they start putting alarms on video cards?

Old July 30th 06, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

There is no audio-producing component on that video card, period.

As a guess, the "alarm" may be coming from a stalled fan somehow trying to
spin using the 3.3 V supplied to the AGP bus while the system is "soft off".
An easy way to check is to try unplugging the fan when you hear the "alarm"
and see if the sound goes away.

Were you able to isolate the "alarm" to a location on the video card (i.e.
listening to each part through a paper tube)? Just because the video card
was the only part changed, doesn't mean it's the culprit.

ups.com...

Old August 3rd 06, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
AngusBull

Hate to be so pointed but you are wrong. There is small speaker about
3/4 of a cm in diameter on the board. Either way I gave up and I am
retruned the card. Thanks for trying though. Search the google images
for an xfx 6800 xt agp and you will find the speaker on the rear of the
device.

Thanks

Old August 3rd 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"AngusBull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hate to be so pointed but you are wrong. There is small speaker about
3/4 of a cm in diameter on the board.

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/...ductId=4483 1
Yes, you are correct. Turns out the speaker is indeed present on XFX 6800XT
AGP cards, but notably absent on the PCIe cards except for one variant. Same
story with the 6800GS. Closer inspection shows the 7800GS has one, too.
nVidia...

Either way I gave up and I am
retruned the card. Thanks for trying though. Search the google images
for an xfx 6800 xt agp and you will find the speaker on the rear of the
device.

If it's indeed the speaker making the noise, then it's being energized by
the standby voltage fed to the AGP slot. This may be either a video card or
motherboard problem. Hopefully going to another brand will remove the noise,
otherwise you'll have to find one that lacks the speaker.