ga k8n ultra 9 BIOS reverted to F2

Old June 27th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default ga k8n ultra 9 BIOS reverted to F2

Hi,

I seem to have dropped back to version F2 of my Bios I could have sworn
that I had a higher version, I've been running a dual core amd for many
months. I tinkered with the ram speed and now (even with Ctrl-F1 hidden
options) I don't have the same menus.

I'm sure the auto BIOS recovery somehow decided I'd made bad choices
and changed the bios. Now the system just starts to boot, says F2 and
sees ram then beeps repeatedly.

I've poked around the various options to recover the bios but the
Gigabyte Express Recovery on F9 mentioned loss of hard disk data so I
dare not touch it!

I gues I'm out of my depth now... off to find the manual.

I don't have a Floppy drive in the machine so I'm not sure how to load
the latest bios.

The machine is running XP Pro x64 SP2, pah if it got that far.

I guess I ought to get the lid off and slap in a floppy disk and load
up the latest Bios again?

Thanks for any help

Anthony

Old June 28th 06, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Best way for it. If you can get it to boot from a floppy that is. But
can't you enter the Dual Bios (F1 key) and change it back to F9 is it's
still there. Usually the motherboard flips over to the other bios so you
may still have F9 on there.

You can sort things out like making sure there's another stable F9 on the
backup as well once you know the new bios works fine.

But can't beat a floppy drive for getting a bios back on and the motherboard
working again in this case. I am all for getting rid of the floppy drive
but replace it with something else that works out of any hardware drivers
etc.

--
Skipai

Old June 29th 06, 09:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Thanks,

I've put in the floppy and installed F8 on the backup bios, it said
success but didn't look like it saved it, either way nothing seems to
show whats in the two bios stores. I'm gonna put F8 in both bios stores
so it forces it to choose one. Unless F2 is in Firmware and its telling
me I'm screwed. There are three long beeps when it boots but a cold
boot allows it to boot correctly on F2, although the Dual Core AMD is
not recognised so I get just one processor.

Oh well, I'm more concerned about losing the raid configuration, I hope
that its written to disk as well as some kinda ram.

So I'll make sure I got two copies of F8 then see what it gets (F2 I
bet).

Then I think my only option is to reset the CMOS to see if I got stupid
ram speed config in being used for F8 (which is what started the whole
thing off, I saw it say 166 so I changed the calcs without really
understanding what I was changing )

Regards
Anthony

Old July 2nd 06, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Fixed it.

I had to save BIOS F8 (since thats what was live) into backup rom and
main rom, then boot, it didn't work and left me with nothing, so ....

I thought I had nothing to lose so I popped the CMOS battery out its
slot, shorted the terminals to drain the CMOS left it for a few minutes
then tried again...

Success, a nice quiet beep and booted up fine, all Sata Raid configs on
both controllers survived and the whole machine is happy.

Now I wonder whether to seek out the F9 BIOS, but I think I'll give
myself a break first

Anthony

And for all those who put 4GB of ram only to see the hardware IO memory
map steal the address space and leave the OS to have 3GB of map, I
CTRL-F1'd and set the BIOS to move the address above 4GB... so far it
didn't make a difference. OS reports 3GB, oh well I got more config to
do I guess (OS is XP Pro SP1 x64).

Bad Bios Flash or? Ottar Tverberg Asus Motherboards 17 May 23rd 05 04:05 PM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
Bios update: which file? Katy Asus Motherboards 2 September 23rd 04 04:54 AM
SP2 - need to update BIOS? Steve Dell Computers 25 September 5th 04 09:40 AM
MSI KT3 ULTRA bios upgrade... Jerry McBride Overclocking AMD Processors 1 July 12th 03 04:32 AM