Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Old April 11th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, paired with
an Athlon 64 4000 90nm rev. Before pulling the trigger, does anyone have any
strong objections to this mobo? What about SATA2 support (and does SATA2
even make that much of a difference)?

Thanks in advance.

Old April 11th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:57:06 -0700, Bosconian wrote:

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, paired with
an Athlon 64 4000 90nm rev. Before pulling the trigger, does anyone have
any strong objections to this mobo? What about SATA2 support (and does
SATA2 even make that much of a difference)?

Thanks in advance.

All Nforce4 motherboards have SATA2 support.

Old April 11th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

I just upgraded to the A8N SLI premium which is similar to that board, I
have to say that I love my new system.
SATA II will transfer up to 3gb per second vs 1.5, so, yes its worth it. I
did a clean install of XP pro with service pack 2 in about 20 minutes when I
fired my rig up for the first time, and it's been flying ever since.
I socketed an FX-57 cpu in my rig with 2gb of OCZ performance PC3200 DDR,
and an XFX 7800 GTX video card. and I'm getting kick ass numbers in
benchmarks, 100+fps in BF2 and Farcry, and 60+ FPS in Q3 and D4. For some
reason I cant get over 60 fps in Q3 or D4, even if I drop my rez down
low..... all are running with 4xAA and AF. When Q3 and D4 load, Fraps shoots
to 399fps, but then drops back to 60, LOCKED at 60, no more, no less.
Graphics are kick ass. I've also "Tested" my rig by playing BF2, and Q4
WHILE having AOL run in the background streaming XM radio.....
OUTSTANDING!!!!! I'm not a big fan of AOL but we get it free with our
broadband, and I now it's a system hog. I wanted to see what it would
do..... not even a hickup! The board you want to get has dual 16 channel
PCI-E slots, vs 1 16 channel or 2 8 channel. I'm not sure of the cost for
that board bud, but, if it is alot more than the premium...... I'd say save
the cash and just get a better video card, one 7800GTX suites me fine....
although I do fantasize about what it would be like to have 2 7800 GTX
cards..... but, then again, how much better can it get? Either way you
choose to go, you'll be happy, I'd be leary of going with dual core CPU....
I've heard alot of people are having problems with them, driver issues, game
issues. I was told I was better off getting the fastest single core
processor I could buy.... for now, until they work the kinks out of the dual
core systems. Besides very few programs, games or otherwise are written to
take advantage of them. Thats why I chose the FX-57. Expensive as hell....
but, hey, its the fastest chip on the market right now Good luck, if you
have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at . Keep us
posted on which way you go

{SFU}Jackyl
--
Asus A8N-Premium
Enermax Liberty 550

Old April 12th 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"John Edmister" wrote in message
news
[...]

Jackyl,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I can get the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe for under $190 including shipping. At
that price it seems like a no-brainer.

The rest of my components are actually going to be quite similair to yours
including a single-core CPU (actual flavor TBD), video card and memory.

What's your opinion on RAID (0 or 1)? I've never had a raid workstation
before (previouslly something reserved only for server class configs, but
not anymore.) With hard drives so cheap this seems like a no-brainer as
well.

Cheers,

Old April 12th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

I'm kind of new to the SATA, and RAID configuration too. And who knows, I
probably dont have my drive configured for optimal performance.... lol. I
think I have my single drive configured in a raid 0 stripe configuration. I
think I could have and probably should have put 2 in at the same time.
ASUS's manuals are very detailed about configuring your SATA drives though.
Read the pages about configuring before you install an OS. I like the speed
though, as I said, I had a complete SP2 install of windows up and running in
about 20 minutes.
That is a good price for your motherboard, I paid $165 for my A8N-SLI
premium board about 2 months ago. Believe me, you'll be VERY happy with it!
I simply love mine!! I get wood every time I power my system up! lol

. ..

Old April 12th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Someone just pointed out one limitation with the Asus mobo: it doesn't
support DDR2. I wonder how much of a difference this will make (?)

Old April 12th 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Someone just pointed out one limitation with the Asus mobo: it doesn't
support DDR2. I wonder how much of a difference this will make (?)

Of course it doesn't support DDR2. The current generation of A64s use DDR,
if you want DDR2 you'll either have to buy a Intel system or wait until
the socket AM2 A64s are released this summer.

Old April 12th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news

Someone just pointed out one limitation with the Asus mobo: it doesn't
support DDR2. I wonder how much of a difference this will make (?)

Of course it doesn't support DDR2. The current generation of A64s use DDR,
if you want DDR2 you'll either have to buy a Intel system or wait until
the socket AM2 A64s are released this summer.

I'm such a fool. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old April 12th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:57:36 -0700, Bosconian wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news

Someone just pointed out one limitation with the Asus mobo: it doesn't
support DDR2. I wonder how much of a difference this will make (?)

Of course it doesn't support DDR2. The current generation of A64s use
DDR, if you want DDR2 you'll either have to buy a Intel system or wait
until the socket AM2 A64s are released this summer.

I'm such a fool. Thanks for setting me straight.

Not a fool, you just have feline optimism. My cat spends all winter going
from door to door because he's convinced that summer is behind one of the
doors (Heinline wrote a book entitled The Door to Summer because his cat
did the same thing). A few weeks ago he was proved right, I opened the
right door for him and sure enough the snow was gone. If you keep asking
about A64 motherboards with DDR2, come July your optimism will be rewarded.

Old April 13th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:36:57 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:57:36 -0700, Bosconian wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news

I'm such a fool. Thanks for setting me straight.

Not a fool, you just have feline optimism. My cat spends all winter going
from door to door because he's convinced that summer is behind one of the
doors (Heinline wrote a book entitled The Door to Summer because his cat
did the same thing). A few weeks ago he was proved right, I opened the
right door for him and sure enough the snow was gone. If you keep asking
about A64 motherboards with DDR2, come July your optimism will be rewarded.

I'd put the money into a single latest graphics card that
can beat out the other cards in SLI. It'll fit in the new
motherboards later on. No SLI problems either.