Updating Chipset driver

Old March 7th 06, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default Updating Chipset driver

What is the correct method for updating the Chipset driver for use
with the Giga-byte GA-K8NXP-9 AMD motherboard?

I have downloaded two versions of the Chipset driver, one from the
Giga-byte website (ver.6.66) and the other from nVidia (ver.6.70 for
AMD).

Checking the 'Driver installation hints' on the nVidia website they
suggest removing any nVidia display drivers (no mention is made of
chipset drivers), I assume from this that when running the Chipset exe
file that it will automatically remove any previous versions of the
Chipset drivers during installation.

After the Chipset drivers have been installed I assume that one then
reinstalls the display drivers (in my case nVidia ver: 81.98).

Harryo

Old March 7th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"Harryo" wrote in message
What is the correct method for updating the Chipset driver for use
with the Giga-byte GA-K8NXP-9 AMD motherboard?

I have downloaded two versions of the Chipset driver, one from the
Giga-byte website (ver.6.66) and the other from nVidia (ver.6.70 for
AMD).

Checking the 'Driver installation hints' on the nVidia website they
suggest removing any nVidia display drivers (no mention is made of
chipset drivers), I assume from this that when running the Chipset exe
file that it will automatically remove any previous versions of the
Chipset drivers during installation.

After the Chipset drivers have been installed I assume that one then
reinstalls the display drivers (in my case nVidia ver: 81.98).

Harryo

Install the Gigabyte Chipset driver.
Don't fool with the display drivers unless they address a specific problem
that you are having.
JPS

Old March 7th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:01:33 -0500, "jpsga" wrote:

Install the Gigabyte Chipset driver.
Don't fool with the display drivers unless they address a specific problem
that you are having.
JPS

Thank you for the advice.

I did send a question to Gigabyte support regarding the Chipset file
that I downloaded from their website and they have just replied
informing me that all I have to do is "run the exe file".

I did have problems relating to the display driver when I last
attempted to update the Chipset driver (using the nVidia file), I made
the mistake of using Windows 'add/remove' programs to remove nVidia
drivers which resulted in me losing the display driver.

I could boot into Windows but no image was showing on my monitor and
when attempting to go into safe-mode my mouse and keyboard were not
recognised so could not do a repair from safe-mode, had to do a
complete reinstall of Windows XP!

Will take yours and Gigabyte supports advice and just install the
Gigabyte Chipset file.

Cheers - Harryo

Old March 9th 06, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:45:49 GMT, "old man"
wrote:

This is the correct way to update nvidea, read installation hints

My mistake was reading the installation hints after I had already
removed certain nVidia files! :-)

What I found odd was the fact that if you were updating the nVidia
chipset driver the 'installation hints' recommended that one had to
remove the nVidia display driver first:-

* Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel.
Browse to the Start Menu Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and search for
"NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

It would appear that with a number of driver updates it is no longer
necessary to remove the existing driver before installing the latest
version, I have just updated my Realtek audio driver using a
downloaded .exe file and it just updated the driver by simply running
the .exe file.

Harryo

Old March 11th 06, 11:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Nvidea have for some time advised removeing older display drivers when
updating.
Preumably conflicts can occur if not done, but why an update cannot be
designed to remove older versions first?