Northbridge fan not working on new MSI board?

Old February 5th 06, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Default Northbridge fan not working on new MSI board?

Hey gang,

Just successfully upgraded my system, thanks again for some of the helpful
tips over the last couple of weeks.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
AMD X2 4400+
Thermalrite XP 90 heatsink
2gb pc3500 LL Pro Corsair ram
2 ea WD 250 gb sata drives
Saphire Radeon X850XT PCIe video card

I have done a fresh install of Windows XP Pro and am currently reinstalling
all my programs.

I installed the Thermalrite heatsink with arctic silver 5. My temps are
looking great, cpu at 30-32c

However, I notice the msi fan included on the northbridge chip ( I believe),
is not running.
Is this something I should be overly concerned with? System seems stable,
although I have not really stressed it yet.

--
Don

Old February 5th 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

those are notoriously faulty fans, I have built 3 systems based on that
board, and 2 of them sounded like a blender crushing ice and the other was
fine. If you send it back in they will replace just the fan..and no they are
not temp sensitive. Check to make sure the fan is plugged in all the way,
maybe it has been dislodged from the socket.

Old February 5th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

dino wrote:
those are notoriously faulty fans, I have built 3 systems based on
that board, and 2 of them sounded like a blender crushing ice and the
other was fine. If you send it back in they will replace just the
fan..and no they are not temp sensitive. Check to make sure the fan
is plugged in all the way, maybe it has been dislodged from the
socket.

Thanks Dino, I will check the connection. Not sure I want to dissamble all
and send the board back though
Will advise...

Don

Old February 5th 06, 05:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Don Burnette wrote:
dino wrote:
those are notoriously faulty fans, I have built 3 systems based on
that board, and 2 of them sounded like a blender crushing ice and the
other was fine. If you send it back in they will replace just the
fan..and no they are not temp sensitive. Check to make sure the fan
is plugged in all the way, maybe it has been dislodged from the
socket.

Thanks Dino, I will check the connection. Not sure I want to
dissamble all and send the board back though
Will advise...

Don

Got it!. One of my small leader wires from the case to the mb had gotten
stuck in it, preventing it from spinning.
All is working now, whew!

Thanks,

--
Don

Old February 5th 06, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

I find it hard to believe that you noticed the fan was not spinning yet you
didn't notice a case lead stuck in it.

DaveL

Old February 5th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

just to clarify..you can return just the fan..not the board..but then you
have no cooling...I know of one PC builder that is pulling them off as they
build the system and putting a passive cooler on. If you happen to notice a
high pitch squeal or whine while system is on..it is that little fan
spinning at 5000rpm howling at you, and when that noise starts..man it is
headache causing material.

Old February 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

I recently received a new fan from MSI-Netherlands after contacting them by
email.
Maybe you should start working on getting a new fan also Don.
Because they start getting noisy after some weeks and can come to a full
stop eventually.
Now some ppl reported they noticed the fan not spinning after a while and
did not noticed any strange behaviour.
So you could be safe for a little while with just the heatsink.
But your NB chip will burnout sooner then later.
Fitting it yourself should be an easy task,there are just 2 pins that clip
in,just as with vga coolers.
As a matter of fact,the fan MSI sended to me is a vga cooler,or that's
what's written on it anyway.
although not needed at present it wont hurt to have the replacement fan
ready to go when required.
Goodluck.

"dino" schreef in bericht