BFG 6800GT OC Problems

Old October 24th 05, 06:31 AM
Fed.91

Default BFG 6800GT OC Problems

I am unable to play any games. I am trying to play BF2, CS Source, and
World of Warcraft. All games are unplayable due to studders and video
problems. The card flickers in and out with video distortion and
there are frequent lags in gameplay. The game will be fine and then
it will pause for 5 seconds or so before it comes back. This
continually happens. I have looked in bios and cant seem to find
anything wrong. AGP slot is set to 8x. Please help me. I am baffled
as to what the issue could be since I have updated everything.
I have a 6800GT card. A Giga-byte GA-K8N Pro motherboard(nforce3 150
chipset). I have used the @bios update feature to get the newest
undate for the bios. I have installed the nforce 5.10 chipset drivers
and the nvidia 81.85 video card drivers. Im running xp pro with
service pack 1a. I have not activated yet until i get this problem
resolved. This is all with a clean install as well.

Old October 24th 05, 07:54 AM

Try disabling fast writes in your mobo BIOS.

Old October 24th 05, 09:42 AM
Andy Jeffries

Fed.91 wrote:
I am unable to play any games. I am trying to play BF2, CS Source, and
World of Warcraft. All games are unplayable due to studders and video
problems.

Why don't you give BFG a call/email - they provide lifetime 24/7 support.

Cheers,

Andy
Old October 24th 05, 05:16 PM
McGrandpa

"Fed.91" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

clean install, ok. What about your audio drivers? In HL2, a lot of the fr
stuttering was found to be problems with the sound, not the video. Worth a
look I think?
McG.

Old October 24th 05, 06:10 PM
Fitz

If you call BFG (or email- I got a response in less than 8 hours) they will
tell you there is a documented problem with the 6600 and above series cards
and NForce 3 150 chipsets. Disable Fastwrites in the BIOS may take care of
it. If not, there is a workaround, which I no longer have a copy of because
the turning off Fastwrites worked for me. I'm running a Gigabyte K8NNXP
board with a 6800 GT OC also.

Good Luck,
Fitz

Old October 25th 05, 11:46 PM
Homer J. Simpson

"Fitz" wrote in message
If you call BFG (or email- I got a response in less than 8 hours) they
will tell you there is a documented problem with the 6600 and above series
cards and NForce 3 150 chipsets. Disable Fastwrites in the BIOS may take
care of it. If not, there is a workaround, which I no longer have a copy
of because the turning off Fastwrites worked for me. I'm running a
Gigabyte K8NNXP board with a 6800 GT OC also.

Good Luck,
Fitz

Disabling Fastwrites didn't work at all for me.

Other workarounds were to underclock the GPU. I was able to get stutter-free
DirectX gaming after underclocking the GPU by about 35MHz with my 6800 GT on
an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum which has the nForce3 Ultra chipset. Not a very
good solution at all.

Another workaround was to revert back to Version 66.93 of the ForceWare
drivers. Didn't always work.

The final solution was to dump the nForce3 chipset motherboard. I bought an
ASUS A8V Deluxe as a replacement, and I haven't had a problem since. I can
even overclock the 6800 GT to beyond 6800 Ultra speeds without any problems.
I could never overclock the 6800 GT with the nForce3 motherboard, the
stuttering would just get worse.

There are other workarounds that require the use of RivaTuner that may or
may not work.

It's really frustrating when even BFG recommends that you switch to a
motherboard that doesn't have the nForce3 chipset.

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 7th 05 11:29 PM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM