Gigabyte geForce 6600GT on a 4x slot on Epox 8KHA+?

Old October 3rd 05, 03:30 AM
wingman25

Default Gigabyte geForce 6600GT on a 4x slot on Epox 8KHA+?

This kind of a question may have been asked before but i just wanted to
be specific with my kind of a mainboard.

It's an Epox 8KHA+ BIOS version 1.0 from 2001. Mobo manufacture date
10/2001 and has a VIA KT266/A, KT333/A Chipset on it (not sure which
one is the actual speed though, this is what i found using SiSoft
Sandra).

The AGP slot is 4x
and i currently have an ancient GeForce2 GTS installed on it.

The memory is 1GB DDR and the CPU is an Athlon 1700+ (1.47 Ghz).

I purchased a Gigabyte 6600GT Turboforce 128DDR today hoping it will
fall back to 4x but i am scared to open the box and replace the old
card before i am sure this one will work. The new card info only
specifies it will work on 8x. Here is the link:
http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products...-N66T128VP.htm

I have seen as many posts saying it will work as posts claiming there
will be a voltage problem causing either the video card or the
mainboard to fry.

All help and feedback based on your experience will be awesome!
TIA
Gary.

Old October 3rd 05, 04:34 AM
Robert Hancock

wingman25 wrote:
[...]

As long as the board supports AGP 4X it should work fine. The 6600GT
cards only support 1.5V I/O, therefore they will not work on most AGP
2X-only motherboards however. (If the motherboard and video card were
made according to specs, it should be physically impossible to insert a
card with incompatible voltage requirements.)

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old October 3rd 05, 12:06 PM

wingman25 wrote:
[...]

I had the same mobo and ran an "8X AGP" ATI 9700 Pro on it. The card
will
work fine, it will simply run at 4X AGP which makes little, if any
difference.

Old October 3rd 05, 05:16 PM
Cuzman

wingman25 wrote:

" It's an Epox 8KHA+ BIOS version 1.0 from 2001. Mobo manufacture date
10/2001 and has a VIA KT266/A, KT333/A Chipset on it (not sure which one
is the actual speed though, this is what i found using SiSoft Sandra). "

The EpoX 8KHA+ has a 1.5v AGP4x slot, so an AGP8x 6600GT should work
fine. http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=93

However, there are a few other problems to consider....

Firstly your PSU needs to be able to handle the card, and you didn't
state the manufacturer, model and power yours puts out.

Secondly, a 6600GT will be held back a little by an Athlon XP 1700+.
The card will certainly be a gigantic leap from a GeForce2 GTS anyway,
but your system won't quite put out the performance figures seen in the
average 6600GT review. The 8KHA+ can take a 266FSB Athlon XP 2600+, as
the latest BIOS indicates, so my advice would be to pick up a faster
266FSB Athlon XP than the 1700+. You will likely need to update the
BIOS in order for a Thoroughbred / Thorton to even boot, so make sure
you do that before upgrading.
http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/support.php?ps=93&type=1

Old October 4th 05, 12:35 AM
DaveW

That video card will work fine with that motherboard. 8x video card are
industry compatible with 4x motherboards. I currently have a 6800 GT card
in a 4x Asus P4PE motherboard and it works great.

--
DaveW
__________

ups.com...

Old October 4th 05, 04:47 AM
deimos

Cuzman wrote:
wingman25 wrote:

[...]

I second the comment about being CPU limited. Even a decent NForce 2
Ultra board with a Barton 2500 fails to feed a 6600GT adequately
(unfortunately my 2500 doesn't run stable at 3200). A 2600 is a better
start, but the KT266 is lacking overall system bandwidth as well.

I'd say you'll be very happy with your card up to a Athlon 64 3400 or so.
Old October 4th 05, 05:39 PM
wingman25

Thanks everyone!
I put this card in and it definitely works. However i am not at all
impressed with the performance and i guess the next is to upgrade the
CPU and the mainboard (AGP supported). I appreciate all the suggestions
and feedback so far. Thanks again very much.
Gary

I might be looking at an Athlon 64 definitely.

deimos wrote:
Cuzman wrote:
wingman25 wrote:

[...]

Gigabyte 6600GT Temperature Monitoring Lucas Tam Nvidia Videocards 2 September 14th 05 08:26 AM
Understanding the IRQ assignments table for my new ASUS A7V880 MB... G.L. Cross Asus Motherboards 4 August 4th 04 06:52 PM
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP and GEFORCE FX 5200 Kelvin Gigabyte Motherboards 2 February 22nd 04 03:37 PM
Tips for Epox 8KHA? LRW Overclocking 10 January 12th 04 06:53 PM
Tips for Epox 8KHA? LRW Overclocking AMD Processors 0 January 11th 04 07:42 PM