77.xx drivers break video

Old August 14th 05, 09:04 AM
edde

Default 77.xx drivers break video

I've been running a Leadtek 6600GT PCIE on an Asus A8N-SLI board for 6
months or more, and it's been flawless (100% stock speeds).
When the last Nvidia WHQL 77.xx driver set came out, I upgraded from 71.89.
I noticed random crashes when playing wmv video files, and GTA San Andreas
would often crash during the video cut scenes.
So, I went back to the 71.89's, and all has been fine.
I just upgraded again to Nvidia's new 77.77 drives, and sure enough within
the first day I got a corrupted desktop when playing a realvideo file (had
to restart computer), and now again today when playing a wmv file in media
player. Going back to 71.89 or earlier fixes all problems.
I guess WHQL doesn't mean a whole lot. The 77.xx drivers definately break
something with the video overlay with atleast my 6600GT.

Old August 14th 05, 09:36 AM
edde

It seems I'm not the only one.
The guy in this thread explains the exact same problem,
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/arch...p/t-53307.html

The thing is, I use Sun Java as well. So the 77.xx series must not play nice
with Sun Java.
What other Java options are there?

Old August 14th 05, 03:27 PM
First of One

On ATi cards, setting all the FSAA and AF options to "application
preference" lets the card play nice with Java. May be worth a try with the
nVidia 77.xx drivers as well.

Old August 14th 05, 05:23 PM
edde

Interesting.
That's only for the default profile I assume?

Old August 14th 05, 06:14 PM
Beowulf

edde wrote:
I've been running a Leadtek 6600GT PCIE on an Asus A8N-SLI board for 6
months or more, and it's been flawless (100% stock speeds).
When the last Nvidia WHQL 77.xx driver set came out, I upgraded from 71.89.
I noticed random crashes when playing wmv video files, and GTA San Andreas
would often crash during the video cut scenes.
So, I went back to the 71.89's, and all has been fine.
I just upgraded again to Nvidia's new 77.77 drives, and sure enough within
the first day I got a corrupted desktop when playing a realvideo file (had
to restart computer), and now again today when playing a wmv file in media
player. Going back to 71.89 or earlier fixes all problems.
I guess WHQL doesn't mean a whole lot. The 77.xx drivers definately break
something with the video overlay with atleast my 6600GT.

Interesting. I'm using 77.72 on PNY G4 ti4800 with no problems.
WinXpsp2
Slackware Linux 10.1 (76.76)

DVD, DiVx, QT, wmv, etc all play fine. Games are ok, even older ones.

You should poke around and make sure various old driver components are
not still hanging around. Also, directx could be the problem. it never
did "play nice" with non-windows drivers and opengl. You may also
need to update you chipset drivers as well
Old August 15th 05, 11:15 AM
edde

Thanks for the reply.
No that isn't it. I have the latest nforce 4 chipset drivers, 6.66, and all
the latest drivers for other components. All games play fine, it's a video
related problem with the newer 77.xx drivers. As i posted above, others have
noted the same problem. Switching back to 71.89 fixes the problem.
But, the culprit may actually be 77.xx drivers and Sun Java as somebody
pointed out. I uninistalled the Sun Java and found an version of MS Java
floating around and installed it. That seems to have helped others.
So far so good here.

Old August 15th 05, 02:19 PM
Neil J Bundy

Don't know if it will help anyone but with Athlon XP3200+, 6600GT on
AG-Neovo F-419 TFT display, I found 77.xx drivers "broke" the displaying
of video files when using everything except Quicktime player.

I looked and tweaked a few things. No joy. Then I found that it was
because video was defaulting to a full screen device so would not
display in the Media player or PowerDVD window, as it was being
channelled to the Analogue output to my F-419 monitor for some reason (I
use the digital output for the desktop, it is set in clone mode).

When I realised the video was being displayed on the other output I
could see it only if I switched the monitor input - not fantastic...

The solution was to disable full screen device in the nVidia Display
control panel, all video works fine as it should now, and I can click in
and out of full screen as required (or connect a TV) as necessary.

What puzzled me is that it was installing the 77.xx drivers that enabled
the full screen device... the driver actually works fine for me.

I'm not sure some of the other problems people have experienced, it
may be worth checking codecs, etc. - also Media Player Classic is quite
a good bit of software - functional not gimmicky.

Hope this helps - if not then nothing lost.

Neil.

In message , edde
writes

--
Neil J Bundy
Old August 15th 05, 11:43 PM
edde

Well, I was playing a video again today and sure enough after a while the
computer froze.
Back to 71.89, and everything is fine. I talked to a friend with a similar
setup and sure enough, 77.xx drivers do the same thing.
Neil, I looked everywhere in the Nvidia Control Panel for "disable full
screen device" and can't find it anywhere.

Old August 15th 05, 11:51 PM
edde

More info. I just discovered in my Event Viewer and NV Infinite Loop error.
And that reminds me, I had that same error with the last set of 77.xx
drivers too.
The 71.89 and older drivers were 100% flawless for 6 months before these
77.xx drivers.

Old August 16th 05, 03:01 PM

Playing painkiller after upgrading to the 77.xx drivers from the older
71.xx series that came with my Chaintech 6600GT on CD resulted in
painkiller locking up once. It worked after I rebooted. CNTL ALT DEL
didn't respond. A8N-SLI-P 1006.