Looking for graphics card recommendations

Old July 31st 05, 10:29 PM
Steven Thompson

Default Looking for graphics card recommendations

Hi

I'm looking to build a new system around the new Biostar IDEQ 300P and was
wondering what sort of graphics card would fit the bill. I'm not interested
in games but will be using it for video editing, recording to DVD from
digital TV etc. The graphics card would have to be PCI-E.

Would it be better to avoid the Turbo Cache cards, as I understand that
these use system memory? Other than that, what series number would suit my
needs - 6200 or 6600? I think the 6800 is out of my price range.

Thanks

Steven Thompson

Old July 31st 05, 10:52 PM
McGrandpa

"Steven Thompson" wrote in message
. uk
Hi

I'm looking to build a new system around the new Biostar IDEQ 300P
and was wondering what sort of graphics card would fit the bill. I'm
not interested in games but will be using it for video editing,
recording to DVD from digital TV etc. The graphics card would have
to be PCI-E.
Would it be better to avoid the Turbo Cache cards, as I understand
that these use system memory? Other than that, what series number
would suit my needs - 6200 or 6600? I think the 6800 is out of my
price range.
Thanks

Steven Thompson

From all that I've seen and read, the 6600GT will give you the most bang
for the buck.
I have a 6800GT and I DO play the games
McG.

Old July 31st 05, 10:59 PM
Phil Weldon

You mention video editing first. Pick video editing software first, then
choose a card recommended for for that software. Video editing is much more
dependent on the CPU, memory, and hard drives than on the video card.
Recording to DVD from DTV is also more dependent on the CPU, memory and hard
drives. Since you aren't interested in games, you won't need many of the
capabilites of the high end gaming cards. Check out hardware add-ons
specifically designed for video editing and recording. You might also check
what CPUs, memory, and hard drives are recommended at this point. You
shouldn't need even the level of any 6000 series nVida card; the money will
be better spent elsewhere

Phil Weldon

Old August 1st 05, 12:42 AM
Sune Storgaard

DaveW wrote:
I'd probably recommend the 6600 GT for your use and budget.

Just curious.. In which ways does the 6600GT justify the double price in
this no-gaming context ? IMHO even a 6600 would be overkill, a 6200 sounds
more reasonable (although pricedifference between those 2 doesnt reflect the
performance difference). Depending on how serious the imaging is, a TC
edition would mostly likely make the cut aswell. Working with 20MB images on
a 16MB TC card would be stupid though.

--
This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".

Old August 1st 05, 05:58 PM
deimos

Sune Storgaard wrote:
DaveW wrote:

I'd probably recommend the 6600 GT for your use and budget.

Just curious.. In which ways does the 6600GT justify the double price in
this no-gaming context ? IMHO even a 6600 would be overkill, a 6200 sounds
more reasonable (although pricedifference between those 2 doesnt reflect the
performance difference). Depending on how serious the imaging is, a TC
edition would mostly likely make the cut aswell. Working with 20MB images on
a 16MB TC card would be stupid though.

68.00 USD for a 6200 AGP non TC on Newegg. That price makes 5200 and
all GF4MX's look overpriced and worthless by comparison. 40.00 for a
POS GF4MX (only good for a display driver) or 68.00 for a 6200 with mild
gaming potential and 128MB RAM. You make the call.

Old August 1st 05, 08:02 PM
Phil Weldon

Failing to understand the point, 'deimos' wrote anyway:
| 68.00 USD for a 6200 AGP non TC on Newegg. That price makes 5200 and
| all GF4MX's look overpriced and worthless by comparison. 40.00 for a
| POS GF4MX (only good for a display driver) or 68.00 for a 6200 with mild
| gaming potential and 128MB RAM. You make the call.
_____

The point 'DaveW' made was the original poster specifically wrote he did NOT
game, and wanted a recommendation for video editing and recording to DVD.
Such a recomendation should NOT be based on gaming performance.

Phil Weldon

Old August 2nd 05, 12:50 AM
Steven Thompson

Thanks for all your input guys. Obviously I'm looking at this the wrong way
round - better to consider a beefier processor or more memory first than
worry so much about the video card.

Steven T.

Old August 2nd 05, 02:00 AM
Phil Weldon

Please let us know what video editing software you go with. It'd be nice to
also learn what hardware you end up choosing.

I started with CBS News about the first time digital video editing system
became available, the CMX600, as I remember. It was used for off-line
editing (a scratch edit that makes a list of scenes and edit decisions that
will be assembled later with higher quality). Hard drives were so small
then that the system was only useful for commercials; there just wasn't room
for more than a few minutes of video, and that had to be stored as B&W.
Recutting and trimming was very fast, but of course after the decisions had
been finalized, the edit decision list controlled an on-line standard analog
tape editing session. That was in the late '70s, and the system cost
hundreds of thousands of dollars US. Now look at the quality you can get
for $2000!

Phil Weldon

. ..