Monitor doesnt turn on after installing

Old July 19th 05, 03:11 AM
lonesw0rdsman

Default Monitor doesnt turn on after installing

Bought a 6800 vanilla. Put it in my rig. Attached the molex and vga. Turned
it on but my monitor doest go on. Any suggestions as to why this is
happening ? TIA

Old July 19th 05, 08:03 AM
oldwolf

Might be a silly question, but, is it plugged in, turned on, havent plugged
it into the onboard video, (if it has one)( I did that once, took me 2
friggin hours to work it out. ;-) )???

oldwolf

Old July 19th 05, 08:26 AM
Phil Weldon

Do you mean that the monitor won't turn on, or just that no display appears.
Any modern monitor can be 'turned on' by the switch. Once it gets video, or
at least synch, it wakes up fully. If there is proper video, and the synch
is recognizable by the monitor, the display will appear.

You may not have fully seated the connector cable to the monitor, the card
may be no good, the card my not be seated correctly.

Check the connections.
Try starting the system in Safe Mode.
Try your new card in a known good system.

Those tests should indicated the source of the problem.

If you post again, give the results of the tests, as well as your operating
system.

Phil Weldon

Old July 19th 05, 09:33 AM
Rene

"lonesw0rdsman" schreef in bericht
Bought a 6800 vanilla. Put it in my rig. Attached the molex and vga.
Turned it on but my monitor doest go on. Any suggestions as to why this is
happening ? TIA

Hi Swordman,

I suppose that You mean that the monitor doesn't turn on at all (and the
power switch is in the "on" position). In that case, so if You don't get the
BIOS screen after the computer is turned on, Your problem is very, very
likely a hardware problem; Your OS starts a bit later (if Your description
of the problem is incorrect, so if You do have a picture for a while but
then, when booting the OS, the monitor turns off, some sort of a driver
problem is far more likely). Off course You have to check whether the card
is fully seated and the VGA-connector is connected firmly. You have already
been given this advice and I presume that You will have thought of those
things Yourself. Also connect the monitor to another computer or the same
one with the old card inserted; monitor's do not live forever and it might
have gone broken now. Very much a coincedence off course, but it can happen.
You will not have to go into the OS to see whether You get the BIOS
messages; if You get some sort of picture on the screen, You'll know it's
OK.

First of all: is Your POWER SUPPLY strong enough? Those cards require quite
a lot of power, and a 300 W supply might not be sufficient, especially if
You have many other devices like hard drives installed. If it is too weak,
the problem You describe could occur. Especially certain AMD processors
(don't ask which cores because I am not sure) are know to draw a lot of
power at startup (up to 20 amps!) and the combination of that and Your
powerfull (but also power-hungry) VGA card might be too much for Your power
supply. If I have to bet my money on some card, this will be the one.

Second: Have You tried the card in another computer? If it is working there
(You don't have to really install it in the OS, just check whether You see
the BIOS messages), the card itself is not the problem. There is a very
small chance that there is a compatibility issue between Your motherboard
and the card, but this is very unlikely; that was a bit more likely when one
bought an AGP 8x (i.e. AGP3.0) card and wanted to install it into an AGP 4x
(i.e. AGP2.0) motherboard (even though manufacturers claimed full backwards
compatibility, this was not always the case)(e.g. GF4 on Asus A7V have given
some people, including this one, some problems). I am quite sure You won't
have such an oldfashioned motherboard, buying an 6800 would be a bit of a
waste of money in that case.
If the card does not work in another computer (if Your own computer has a
weak power supply, the other one should have a stronger one off course to be
useful as a diagnostic test), the card probably has a hardware defect and
should be taken back to the store.

I hope this somehow will help You to solve the problem.

Good luck!
Yours sincerely,
Rene

P.S. Excuse me when my English is not perfect all the time; this is not my
mother tongue.

Old July 19th 05, 09:43 AM
Rene

"Rene" schreef in bericht
news
[...]

I think I am very unclear he what I mean is, to check whether the monitor
is OK, You will not have to fully boot up the computer. I mean: I you get
any of the screens that You normally see when the computer is turned on, the
monitor will be OK. Just a bit stuck in my English... ;-), it's not that
important. Just make sure Your monitor is not the cause of Your problem (it
probably isn't).

Old July 19th 05, 02:53 PM
goPostal

"oldwolf" wrote in message
u...
Might be a silly question, but, is it plugged in, turned on, havent
plugged
it into the onboard video, (if it has one)( I did that once, took me 2
friggin hours to work it out. ;-) )???

oldwolf

I am also guilty of exactly the same thing *blush*

Old July 19th 05, 08:31 PM
lonesw0rdsman

"Rene" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Old July 19th 05, 08:33 PM
lonesw0rdsman

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

No display. No boot up sequence so i cant get into the bios. The screen is
just blank. I have winxp.

Old July 20th 05, 12:37 AM
Phil Weldon

'lonesw0rdsman' wrote:
| No display. No boot up sequence so i cant get into the bios. The screen is
| just blank. I have winxp.

_____

So you DON'T mean the monitor won't turn on.
What you mean is that the boot up display does not appear.
Those two smyptoms are very different.

Did you get any beeps when the boot screen did not display?
Did you remove the new card and try booting in Safe Mode, using the old
card? Did that work?
Did you try the new card in a known good system (When you try your new
card in a known good system, boot into Safe Mode so that you will not cause
any driver problems for the known good system.)
Try a known good AGP card in your system, booting into Safe Mode.

If you haven't done those tests you don't know where the hardware problem
lies.

Either your motherboard is bad (perhaps just the AGP socket)
OR
your new AGP card is bad.

Finding out which one is bad depends on YOU actually runing those tests.

Phil Weldon