HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can a MOBO damage a CPU? - OOPS This is a corrected post! (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=6446)

[email protected] October 5th 04 11:58 AM

Can a MOBO damage a CPU? - OOPS This is a corrected post!

I have a MOBO and AMD (socket A) CPU that stopped working. Dead as a
doornail - no beeps-no raster.

I bought a new AMD Athlon (socket A) and am afraid to try it in the
MOBO, fearing that the MOBO might damage the new CPU.

Should I worry about that?

Thanks

kony October 5th 04 01:03 PM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:58:22 GMT, wrote:

I have a MOBO and AMD (socket A) CPU that stopped working. Dead as a
doornail - no beeps-no raster.

I bought a new AMD Athlon (socket A) and am afraid to try it in the
MOBO, fearing that the MOBO might damage the new CPU.

Should I worry about that?

No more than the last time you posted this.

Mike Walsh October 5th 04 06:24 PM

The usual reason for a motherboard to kill a CPU is too high a voltage. Measure the CPU voltage with a good digital voltmeter.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.