HardwareBanter

-   Storage (alternative) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   decoding ATA error byte (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=84938)

Eric Gisin October 18th 03 04:05 PM

decoding ATA error byte

I have a maxtor IDE drive with bad sectors. Running findbad returns Int13
error bytes, which I take it are the same as the ATA error register.

What does code 10 (IDNF) mean on a disk without sector IDs? I have long runs
of these.

I also got 00, 80, and E0 - not defined by ATA6.

Svend Olaf Mikkelsen October 18th 03 07:16 PM

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 08:05:55 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
wrote:

I have a maxtor IDE drive with bad sectors. Running findbad returns Int13
error bytes, which I take it are the same as the ATA error register.

What does code 10 (IDNF) mean on a disk without sector IDs? I have long runs
of these.

I also got 00, 80, and E0 - not defined by ATA6.

No, the interrupt 13h error codes are not the same as the ATA error
codes. From the Microsoft Macro Assembler help file I have:

AL = Status of previous disk operation

= 00h No error
= 01h Invalid command
= 02h Address mark not found
= 03h Disk write-protected (F)
= 04h Sector not found
= 05h Reset failed (H)
= 06h Floppy disk removed (F)
= 07h Bad parameter table (H)
= 08h DMA overrun (F)
= 09h DMA crossed 64K boundary
= 0Ah Bad sector flag (H)
= 0Bh Bad track flag (H)
= 0Ch Media type not found (F)
= 0Dh Invalid number of sectors
on format (H)
= 0Eh Control data address mark
detected (H)
= 0Fh DMA arbitration level out
of range (H)
= 10h Uncorrectable CRC* or ECC£
data error
= 11h ECC corrected data error
(H)
= 20h Controller failed
= 40h Seek failed
= 80h Disk timed-out
(failed to respond)
= AAh Drive not ready (H)
= BBh Undefined error (H)
= CCh Write fault (H)
= E0h Status register error (H)
= FFh Sense operation failed (H)

If you get BIOS error code 00, something is not reliable. Currently I
cannot say what it is, but the read failed.

--
Svend Olaf

Folkert Rienstra October 18th 03 10:15 PM

wrote:

[...]

As if an error code of "no error" makes sense.

Joep October 20th 03 04:11 PM

"F'Nut" wrote in message

If you get BIOS error code 00, something is not reliable.

As if an error code of "no error" makes sense.

As if you *ever* make sense ...

--
Joep