HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Case Fans which way in or out (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2225)

[email protected] November 18th 03 03:45 PM

Case Fans which way in or out

What is the best way to set your case fans (3-4 fans) all in or
blowing out or somewhere in between

Devang Devani November 18th 03 03:58 PM

I put my fans on the front of the case to blow into the case and the fans on
the back to blow outwards.

Lord Shaolin November 18th 03 04:09 PM

wisely said the following on 18/11/2003 15:45:

What is the best way to set your case fans (3-4 fans) all in or
blowing out or somewhere in between

Generally in at the front out at the back, following the PSU and getting
a good air flow through the case.

ST

--
Get your Geek Goodies!
http://shop.security-forums.com

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.

Share your knowledge
It's a way to achieve
Immortality.

DaveW November 19th 03 12:04 AM

Front fans blowing in, rear fans blowing out.

--
DaveW

Lane Lewis November 19th 03 03:17 PM

wrote in message
What is the best way to set your case fans (3-4 fans) all in or
blowing out or somewhere in between

Generally one more fan blowing in than out, taking into consideration the
PSU fan.

This creates a positive pressure in the case.

Lane

ric November 19th 03 09:04 PM

Lane Lewis wrote:

What is the best way to set your case fans (3-4 fans) all in or
blowing out or somewhere in between

Generally one more fan blowing in than out, taking into consideration the
PSU fan.

This creates a positive pressure in the case.

This depends totally on your environment. In a dusty environment, yours
is a good solution - no air and dust entering case through drive openings.

In a low dust or no dust environment, you *want* cool air flowing over
your drive devices, so exhaust fans should out number input fans, that
is, more fans blowing out than blowing in.

William H. Pridgen November 20th 03 12:55 AM

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:45:47 GMT, wrote:

What is the best way to set your case fans (3-4 fans) all in or
blowing out or somewhere in between

AMD recommends having your fan (or fans) blowing out at the back of the
case. That pulls the air through the case and over the CPU. I've noticed
that cases come set up that way these days, whereas a few years ago they
always had a fan in the front blowing in. That's the way I do it.
--
All views expressed above are my own. Nobody else would claim them!

Lane Lewis November 20th 03 04:38 AM

"ric" wrote in message ...
Lane Lewis wrote:

What is the best way to set your case fans (3-4 fans) all in or
blowing out or somewhere in between

Generally one more fan blowing in than out, taking into consideration

the
PSU fan.

This creates a positive pressure in the case.

This depends totally on your environment. In a dusty environment, yours
is a good solution - no air and dust entering case through drive openings.

In a low dust or no dust environment, you *want* cool air flowing over
your drive devices, so exhaust fans should out number input fans, that
is, more fans blowing out than blowing in.

Why does more exhaust fans mean more air ?

Lane

ric November 20th 03 06:31 AM

Lane Lewis wrote:

Generally one more fan blowing in than out, taking into consideration
the
PSU fan.

This creates a positive pressure in the case.

This depends totally on your environment. In a dusty environment, yours
is a good solution - no air and dust entering case through drive openings.

In a low dust or no dust environment, you *want* cool air flowing over
your drive devices, so exhaust fans should out number input fans, that
is, more fans blowing out than blowing in.

Why does more exhaust fans mean more air ?

Who said it does?

All I said is that having more exhaust fans than input fans (or more
accurately more exhaust fan CFM than input fan CFM) will cause cool
air to flow into the case across drive devices.

Read it again, Lane.

Lane Lewis November 21st 03 05:00 PM

"ric" wrote in message ...
Lane Lewis wrote:

[...]