HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   why do Dell always try to sell optiplex for networks? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=60422)

Yvo October 16th 03 03:30 AM

why do Dell always try to sell optiplex for networks?

A lot more goes into a network then what you think. Sure a Dimension would
connect to the network but what he is probably talking about is
manageability (spelling?).

He wants to remotely be able to wake up computers, remotely
run/install/update programs on that machine and this goes much better with a
computer build ready for corporate networking with say an Intel 10/100 S
desktop adapter which supports all these features. Sure a Realtek cards gets
you out to the network but is not nearly as reliable as a Intel/3com card.

An OptiPlex has this and also has less bells and whistles for example it
doesn't have to come with the latest soundcard & video card.
".::KoperniK::." wrote in message
This is quite disgracefull - People keep telling me about the hard sell on
the more expensive optiplex systems when a cheapo dimension with xp pro

and
a network card will do the job just fine.

I recently had my dell account manager insisting that anything other than

an
Optiplex would not work on a network

Isn't this just plain illegal and mis-information?

127.0.0.1 October 16th 03 04:31 AM

"Yvo" wrote in message
m...
A lot more goes into a network then what you think. Sure a Dimension would
connect to the network but what he is probably talking about is
manageability (spelling?).

He wants to remotely be able to wake up computers, remotely
run/install/update programs on that machine and this goes much better with

computer build ready for corporate networking with say an Intel 10/100 S
desktop adapter which supports all these features. Sure a Realtek cards

gets
you out to the network but is not nearly as reliable as a Intel/3com card.

you can put those cards in a dimension or any other pc.
there's nothing unique about an optiplex that can be pieced together on
another machine.

An OptiPlex has this and also has less bells and whistles for example it
doesn't have to come with the latest soundcard & video card.

it's marketing...
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...04&l=en&s=hied

-a|ex