HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Partition problems on new WD drive. (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=2727)

S.Boardman December 21st 03 05:42 PM

Partition problems on new WD drive.

I want to get a backup of my two 20GB mirrored RAID. I attached a shiny new
Western Digital Caviar 8MB cache 80GB drive (WD800JB) to the primary master.
It showed up fine in the BIOS, recognised as 80GB. I used WD's DataLifeguard
Windows software, but it couldn't find it, only the Windows (98SE) drive. It
suggested using the DOS version. I changed it to primary slave, but still it
didn't show up.

I loaded the DOS version, told it I wanted the primary partition as 4.8GB,
FAT32, the rest as the second partition, FAT32. It duly went ahead and
formatted and partitioned the drive. When I checked it, it had four
partitions, all FAT 'unknown' except one, which was FAT16. I decided I must
have done something wrong, and redid it. I had the same problem, but this
time it showed a primary master with squiggly letters under it, as well as
my new drive. I told it to do it again all as one partition. It had all 80GB
accounted for, but was still FAT16.

I decided to use Partition Magic instead, but this showed the partition as
BAD, with error 116. It had the option to reformat, but only as HFTS, NTFS
or Linux ex1. I looked up error 116, but the remedy is to delete the
partition - but I don't think I had this option.

Help!
--
Susan