HardwareBanter

-   Dell Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT--HDTV and Geek Squad (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=188879)

MZB[_2_] June 9th 11 04:40 PM

OT--HDTV and Geek Squad

On 6/9/2011 10:29 AM, powrwrap wrote:
On Jun 8, 6:00 pm, wrote:
My question: surely
there must be some incentive for him to suggest the most expensive items
and then back down. Perhaps they get some bonuses on the totality of
sales they make? So, does anyone know if they are truly independent with
no incentives whatsoever? I'm curious.

Simple: The profit margin on the LED TV's is the higher and/or they
have more LED TV's in inventory. Also it's a bigger ticket item,
therefore more revenue for the company.

Why care about the potential bonus for the salesperson or his/her
motivation for suggesting a certain model? You should be buying the TV
you think is the best and fits your budget, not the one the
salesperson is hyping.

I absolutely agree with you. I was just curious about the "I don't work
on commission line" but yet they start you off with the most expensive
items. Again, the consultant backed off very quickly and we found him to
be quite knowledgeable and helpful. We had shopped around a lot before
meeting with him and only made some minor changes after meeting with him

Mel

RnR[_2_] June 9th 11 05:34 PM

OT--HDTV and Geek Squad

On Jun 8, 6:00 pm, wrote:
My question: surely
there must be some incentive for him to suggest the most expensive items
and then back down. Perhaps they get some bonuses on the totality of
sales they make? So, does anyone know if they are truly independent with
no incentives whatsoever? I'm curious.

Simple: The profit margin on the LED TV's is the higher and/or they
have more LED TV's in inventory. Also it's a bigger ticket item,
therefore more revenue for the company.

Why care about the potential bonus for the salesperson or his/her
motivation for suggesting a certain model? You should be buying the TV
you think is the best and fits your budget, not the one the
salesperson is hyping.

I absolutely agree with you. I was just curious about the "I don't work
on commission line" but yet they start you off with the most expensive
items.

It's called " salesmanshiip ".

Ben Myers[_4_] June 9th 11 05:39 PM

OT--HDTV and Geek Squad

On Jun 8, 6:00 pm, *wrote:
[...]

No. "Bad salesmanship." Sales 101 says to find out how much the
potential mark has to spend, first... Ben Myers

powrwrap June 9th 11 06:22 PM

OT--HDTV and Geek Squad

On Jun 9, 11:39*am, Ben Myers wrote:

Sales 101 says to find out how much the
potential mark has to spend, first... Ben Myers

Reminds me of an old story I heard years ago.

Customer: "How much do you want for this one?"
Salesman: "How much ya got?"

-------
A customer approaches a farmer's fruit and vegetable stand and
remarks, "You've got watermelons priced at $4.00 each, whereas the
farmer down the road has them for $2.50 each."

The farmer replies, "Well, why don't you buy watermelons from the guy
down the road."

Customer: "He's out of watermelons."

Farmer: "Yeah, well when I'm out of watermelons I price them at $2.50
as well."

RnR[_2_] June 9th 11 07:24 PM

OT--HDTV and Geek Squad

On Jun 8, 6:00 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Actually that's a matter of opinion and what you are selling. I agree
with you more, the larger the ticket item (the greater the price).

From my experience, I've seen too often salespeople either qualify and
then try to upsell or just plain shoot for the moon and come down.
Sometimes they want you to think they're saving you money by the
latter and look like they are your friend.