HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   CMOS battery? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=138588)

Noozer October 31st 06 11:20 PM

CMOS battery?

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
Tried to fire up my back-up comp. Time settings won't hold and get
message that there is some sort of check sum error. Before I open it
up and replace the battery can anyone verify that this is the logical
starting point given the symptoms described?

Definately sounds like the CMOS battery is dead - or the jumper is wrong or
missing.

Jan Alter October 31st 06 11:22 PM

CMOS battery?

"Noozer" wrote in message

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
Tried to fire up my back-up comp. Time settings won't hold and get
message that there is some sort of check sum error. Before I open it
up and replace the battery can anyone verify that this is the logical
starting point given the symptoms described?

Definately sounds like the CMOS battery is dead - or the jumper is wrong
or missing.

If you take out the cmos battery and measure the voltage you'll know quick
enough if that is the problem. Most of the cylindrical ones are usually 3.5
volts.

--
Jan Alter

or

[email protected] November 1st 06 03:10 AM

CMOS battery?

Jan Alter wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
Tried to fire up my back-up comp. Time settings won't hold and get
message that there is some sort of check sum error. Before I open it
up and replace the battery can anyone verify that this is the logical
starting point given the symptoms described?

Definately sounds like the CMOS battery is dead - or the jumper is wrong
or missing.

If you take out the cmos battery and measure the voltage you'll know quick
enough if that is the problem. Most of the cylindrical ones are usually 3.5
volts.

3.0, mostly. For the coin cell type. It'll say how many volts on the
battery.