HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   new SATA harddrive recommendations? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=6755)

billybronco October 29th 04 10:07 PM

new SATA harddrive recommendations?

Hi,

I want to build myself a new pc, this one is being passed on to a poor
student friend.
I am planning on installing 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID stripe array on an
ABIT mobo (havent decided which model yet).

Could you guys recommend some good quality harddrive models, which are known
for being quiet and fast. I am looking at 160-200GB each.

Thanks for any suggestions.

S.Heenan October 29th 04 11:05 PM

billybronco wrote:
Hi,

I want to build myself a new pc, this one is being passed on to a poor
student friend.
I am planning on installing 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID stripe array on an
ABIT mobo (havent decided which model yet).

Could you guys recommend some good quality harddrive models, which are known
for being quiet and fast. I am looking at 160-200GB each.

Quiet: Seagate Fast: Western Digital RE or SE series

S.Heenan October 30th 04 02:05 AM

billybronco wrote:

Hi,

I want to build myself a new pc, this one is being passed on to a poor
student friend.
I am planning on installing 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID stripe array on
an
ABIT mobo (havent decided which model yet).

Could you guys recommend some good quality harddrive models, which are
known
for being quiet and fast. I am looking at 160-200GB each.

Quiet: Seagate Fast: Western Digital RE or SE series

Buy one with the longest warranty.

The Seagate has a five year warranty and would be my first choice, based
in part on my success with Seagate products. This is no guarantee
against data loss.
If the OP wants to do RAID 0, he should be creating disk images on a
frequent basis.

McQualude October 30th 04 02:37 AM

billybronco:

I am planning on installing 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID stripe array
on an ABIT mobo (havent decided which model yet).

just curious as to why?

--
McQualude

kony October 30th 04 03:04 AM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:07:04 +0100, "billybronco"
wrote:

Hi,

I want to build myself a new pc, this one is being passed on to a poor
student friend.
I am planning on installing 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID stripe array on an
ABIT mobo (havent decided which model yet).

Could you guys recommend some good quality harddrive models, which are known
for being quiet and fast. I am looking at 160-200GB each.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frankly I think you'd be better off with a 74GB WD Raptor as
primary/OS drive and a 200GB Seagate as 2nd drive (not
RAID0).

Ruel Smith October 31st 04 12:27 AM

billybronco wrote:

I want to build myself a new pc, this one is being passed on to a poor
student friend.
I am planning on installing 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID stripe array on
an ABIT mobo (havent decided which model yet).

Could you guys recommend some good quality harddrive models, which are
known for being quiet and fast. I am looking at 160-200GB each.

You can't go wrong with Western Digital.