HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sisoft Sandra - does it indicate if ram is running in dual channel mode (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=11161)

Paul September 29th 04 11:41 PM

Sisoft Sandra - does it indicate if ram is running in dual channel mode

when I bought my 1 gig dual channel kit of Corsair DDR400, the guy at the
shop thought I should test it in Sandra to make sure thta it is running in
dual channel mode.

At the post screen, I get the message "(Dual Channel Mode Enabled)", but
when I go into sandra, I can't see any indicator of whether it's running in
dual channel mode or not.

where is the feature in sandra to tell me this?

p.s. the reason he told me check was because he said he got 2 unmatched
pairs of ram, and although it said it was running in dual channel mode on
the post screen, when he checked in sandra it was not.

any help appreciated.

Nick M V Salmon September 30th 04 04:04 AM

"Paul" wrote in message
when I bought my 1 gig dual channel kit of Corsair DDR400, the guy at the
shop thought I should test it in Sandra to make sure thta it is running in
dual channel mode.

At the post screen, I get the message "(Dual Channel Mode Enabled)", but
when I go into sandra, I can't see any indicator of whether it's running
in
dual channel mode or not.

where is the feature in sandra to tell me this?

p.s. the reason he told me check was because he said he got 2 unmatched
pairs of ram, and although it said it was running in dual channel mode on
the post screen, when he checked in sandra it was not.

any help appreciated.

Personally, I'd trust the BIOS more than Sandra to get it right. ;-)

Ciao...

[UK]_Nick...
--
Nick M V Salmon Master Mariner MN(Retd.)
Email: My four initials at dsl dot pipex dot com

Richard Hopkins September 30th 04 11:32 AM

"Paul" wrote in message...
At the post screen, I get the message "(Dual Channel Mode Enabled)",
but when I go into sandra, I can't see any indicator of whether it's
running in dual channel mode or not.

where is the feature in sandra to tell me this?

Don't believe there's a feature in Sandra that will tell you *directly*
whether you're running in dual channel mode or not. You can tell indirectly
by running the memory bandwidth benchmark and seeing how your figures
compare with the specimen systems.

p.s. the reason he told me check was because he said he got 2
unmatched pairs of ram, and although it said it was running in dual
channel mode on the post screen, when he checked in sandra it
was not.

That's ********, to put it bluntly. As Nick has already said, if the BIOS
says one thing and Sandra another, trust the BIOS. Sandra is a woman, and
like many women (though not all), she is known to tell lies. In this
particular case, if the POST screen says the memory is running dual channel,
then it is, period. No matter what Sandra says... :-)
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

OldBoy September 30th 04 04:34 PM

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message...
[...]

When still in doubt: get CPU-Z version 1.24 at http://www.cpuid.com

Gr. Jan

Richard Hopkins September 30th 04 05:17 PM

"OldBoy" wrote in message...
When still in doubt: get CPU-Z version 1.24 at http://www.cpuid.com

Exactly. :-)

ElJerid September 30th 04 06:02 PM

"Paul" wrote in message
when I bought my 1 gig dual channel kit of Corsair DDR400, the guy at the
shop thought I should test it in Sandra to make sure thta it is running in
dual channel mode.

At the post screen, I get the message "(Dual Channel Mode Enabled)", but
when I go into sandra, I can't see any indicator of whether it's running

in
dual channel mode or not.

where is the feature in sandra to tell me this?

p.s. the reason he told me check was because he said he got 2 unmatched
pairs of ram, and although it said it was running in dual channel mode on
the post screen, when he checked in sandra it was not.

any help appreciated.

In Sandra, go to the Mainboard Information section, then search for
"logical/chipset 1 memory banks", then for "speed". If dual channel is
enabled, you will read the 2 x 200 MHz (400 MHz) (or more if your system
is overclocked, 200 MHz being the FSB speed in this case).

OldBoy September 30th 04 07:53 PM

"ElJerid" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

No:-)
Same category, but 1 line above: "Channels".
Should read "1" for Single and "2" for Dual channel!
Checked this on 2 systems, one Single (MSI-6788) and one Dual Channel (Asus
P4C800E-DL) MoBo

Gr. Jan